Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couldn't find an answer to this specifically via search, but is there substantial difference between the sixty8 contemporary seats, and the OEM seats on an 07 BB?

the things i've noticed about sixty8:

obviously, available in 2 tone and in brown
has holes already made to accept a seat cowl

here are the things i'm wondering:

does the sixty8 seat modify the riding position at all, and is it any more uncomfortable or comofrtable than the stock seat? OR are they exactly the same minus the aesthetic features of the sixty8?

secondly, has anyone modified the stock seat to accept a cowl?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think the 68 is actually a Thruxton seat with a little tag having 68 on it. Heard they are a bit narrower in front.

·
30,693 Posts
Actually David, I think the contemporary and thruxton seats are identical except for the tag you mention. I could be wrong.

You can get a thruxton seat with a gel pad in it.

I did find the contemporary seat more comfortable than stock, but not by enough, so I swapped it with a TRAT member for a solo seat, which I have yet to test. So far the corbin reigns supreme for me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a solo seat right now which is great, but i've been a lot of 2 up lately. so i'm debating if i should sell the solo, and get a contemporary seat with cowl, provided the sixty8 seat is more comfortable than the stock, so i can have the aggressive solo look when it's just me commuting and what not, but easily take off the cowl when the lady steps on the back ya know? but if the sixty 8 seat is more or less the same as my OEM seat right now, i'd like to find a way to jimmy rig a cowl on there, so i don't have to blow 250 bucks on the contempoary seat.

has anyone ever put on a cowl on the stock seat for a 07 BB?

·
30,693 Posts
Since I still have my stock seat, and a seat cowl, I just tried them together.

The cowl does NOT fit on the stock seat. You would have to taper the back end of the stock seat to get it to fit, it would take more than just adding the fasteners for holding the cowl on.

Of course, that's not too hard either, just letting you know what it would entail.

·
Registered
220 Posts
would you by chance have any pics of the seat cowl on your stock seat, and also a pic with the cowl removed to see how you did the bolts, and the tapering of the seat?

·
30,693 Posts
I have not actually done the mod you are interested in, all I did was place my seat cowl on top of my stock seat, so I have not attempted to add fasteners to the stock seat. Give me about 15 minutes though, and I'll post a picture to show you what I mean.

·
30,693 Posts
OK here are 3 pictures, that show the piece of stock seat sticking out:

The cowl is pushed down as far as it will go, and is starting to splay out.

Now, if you took the cover off the seat, trimmed the foam at the back, and maybe trimmed the seat pan, then recovered it, you could make the cowl fit on it OK.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
provided the sixty8 seat is more comfortable than the stock
ANYTHING is more comfortable than the stock seat. And I do mean ANYTHING!

has anyone ever put on a cowl on the stock seat for a 07 BB?
caferace.com makes a cowl that "kinda" fits the stock seat. I know nothing about it other than it's roughly the same price as the Thruxton cowl, and comes unpainted. (It's also "kinda" ugly IMO.)

"A Solo seat cowl that can fitted directly over your standard Triumph Bonneville seat. It's easily removable so you can ride two-up at a moment's notice."

http://www.caferace.com/bonneville.html

·
30,693 Posts
Oof - a bit more than "kinda" ugly - very ugly. Don't recall seeing one on anyones bike, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well I ditched the stock seat right away and have the contemporary seat which the cowl is meant to fit on and I have the 68 solo seat and rack which the cowl will also fit on.

As far as that monstrosity from caferace.com well, that isn't my flavor. In my opinion the 68 Solo seat is the most comfortable and if you don't like the chrome rack you can take it off and fit the cowl to tidy up the rear end.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I bought a Daytona 675 seat that I'm planning on modifying to the Thruxton. I was initially going to fab the pan and cowl with fiberglass, but have recently been looking at carbon fiber. The Daytona is a great seat and should make moving around much easier. I liken the stock Thruxton seat to a couch.

My biggest holdup has been deciding on a tank. I think I'll have a go with the stock tank. If all goes well then it should be easy enough to do again if I ever fit a Manx tank.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
...the 68 solo seat and rack which the cowl will also fit on.
Calliway - I did not know that. Short of the solo seat w/rack, I either own or have tried every factory seat available... plus a Corbin or two. (Yes, I'm somewhat of a seat whore.) I'd love to know more about the cowl over the rack. Got any pics?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Calliway - I did not know that. Short of the solo seat w/rack, I either own or have tried every factory seat available... plus a Corbin or two. (Yes, I'm somewhat of a seat whore.) I'd love to know more about the cowl over the rack. Got any pics?

agreed, would love to see that!

looks like i might be selling to solo seat to get a contemporary seat and a seat cowl then. ugh, so much money!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Vegas

I you're interested, there's a Scrammy with a cowl & cont' seat on page 4 of the Scrambler pictures section.

Thinking of doin' the brown seat on my Scrammy with seat cowl. I like the look.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

·
30,693 Posts
Well done Calliway!

That's cool - so I guess the solo seat and rack must use the same seat pan as the contemporary seat maybe?

That's a nice easy conversion, and ready made storage space under the cowl. Wicked cool!

Looks just fine as well.

Hmmm. This thread better go in the sticky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts