Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..... when should you acknowledge a fellow bike rider ?

You know the situation, your riding along and you see in the distance a bike coming towards you.

Ah, a brother biker, persecuted by society, a member of the minority group of which you are one, should I give him a friendly wave of comaradeship ?

But as he comes closer you realise it's just some pimpley teenager on a 50cc moped, not a real biker, just a kid waiting for his 17th birthday to come up so he can go get a car. So obviously you should just ignore him, he's just a punk kid, not a real biker.

Then you see another bike on the horizon, this time you wait till you can make out what he's riding.... oh, just some commuter on his Honda 125 on his way to work, just cheap transport for him, he ain't an actual biker, he's got a family car at home for the weekend, probably a Volvo, the one that pulled out in front of you last week and nearly wiped you out..... bastard !!! Obviously we don't wave at them.

Oh, here come some more... a scooter !! tiny little wheels, all chrome mirrors and smokey 2 stroke exhaust. Memories of Mods and Rockers fighting on the beach at Brighton.... he is the enemy, we certainly don't wave to him. Hope his engine ceases up when he's a long way from home.

Further up the road I see some BMW riders, I'm tempted to wave but they're so bloody aloof aren't they ? They probably don't approve of my loud race exhaust and the fact that I'm actually exceeding the speed limit even if it is only by 30 -40 mph.
I bet they're laughing at me for not having heated grips, a gel seat and several accessory sockets on my bike.... bastards, ain't waving at them then.

Finally around the next bend I see some real bikers, Harley riders, mean rough and loud...... but wait, maybe they're TOO mean and tough AND hard !! Hells Angels that hate anything not made in America, I hear they burn other bikes on big bonfires at thier Hog rallies. I'd better not wave as they might think I'm giving them the finger and come after me, I'll pretend I haven't seen them, they probably ain't seen me anyway, not behind those silly dark sunglasses and it ain't even sunny !!

Next along is a Police bike ??? Think fast, should I wave ? Is he a fellow biker or is he about to turn around and chase me, give me a ticket. If I wave will he be so glad someones being nice to him for once that he'll let me off or will he think I'm being a creep.... ah sod him, I've already got several points on my licence from the likes of him and tommorow he'll just be hiding behind some bush with a speed gun trying to ruin my day.. go chase some real criminals.

Later I see a Goldwing, now do these things fall under the listing of motoerbikes? I mean they're basically a 700 lb ,two wheeled car with armchair seats, surround sound sterio, air suspension and a reverse gear. They can't actually lean around corners..and look !! He's got a bloody trialer and side car on too. HA !! I don't want to be associated with a bunch of weekend rally goer's. Ain't gonna wave to them.

I also won't wave to the " Classic" bike riders, living in the past, raving about thier old 650 BSA's clapped out heaps of junk, shouldn't be on the road, it's only 'cause they can't afford or handle a modern bike, they leak oil all over the place, a danger to other bike users out there, wobbling all over the road too, they should be banned.

I ignore dispatch riders too, they give the rest of us a bad name by weaving in and out of traffic dangerously at high speed, lie me but without the skill, they only ride 'cause they're paid to, I ride because I love bikes and being part of the brotherhood of biking that comes with it.

So I guess that only leaves real bikes, sports bikes, 100 bhp plus monsters ridden by real men, as I wouldn't wave to any Sunday moring dirt bike riders, or Yamaha Virago riders, anyone who wears them stupid dayglow safety vests, however I would wave to any female riders regardless of what they were riding, hell, I've even waved to women who weren't even on a bike !! 'cause i'm a real social kinda guy and I like to make them at least feel equal to us men.

I'm such a friendly biker that I've even been know to almost wave at guys on other types of Triumphs, like those silly Tiger thingys or some of the Thruxton modern classic don't know what we are bikes.

But I couldn't wave at anyone riding one of those new fangled fuel injected Sprints as they just aren't in the same class as my 95 Carb Sprint.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I had this etiquette thing off right as I don't see many bikers waving at me ?

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Another wavy thread? Why not? It's a simpler problem in winter. You're surprised to see ANY other idiot out on a bike, so ya gotta wave.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Another wavy thread? Why not? It's a simpler problem in winter. You're surprised to see ANY other idiot out on a bike, so ya gotta wave.
If they don't wave back, likelihood is they haven't got heated grips and can't control their hands any more :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wow, another waving thread. Here's what you get when you search for "wave" in Titles Only. Duplicates really aren't duplicates, they're different threads with the exact same title...

Motorcycle Wave
Correct Wave Protocol
Why We Wave At Other Bikers
The new anti-wave
Why most Harley riders don't wave?
OT: why Harley riders don't wave.
The Wave
I got my first "Honk, thumbs up, wave" today.
motorcyclist wave
Why don't they Wave???
The Wave
The Wave

I previously posted this list in a thread entitled... you guessed it, "Do You Wave to Scooters?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Further up the road I see some BMW riders, I'm tempted to wave but they're so bloody aloof aren't they ? They probably don't approve of my loud race exhaust and the fact that I'm actually exceeding the speed limit even if it is only by 30 -40 mph.
I bet they're laughing at me for not having heated grips, a gel seat and several accessory sockets on my bike.... bastards, ain't waving at them then.
Hey now, I resemble that statement! I've known some BMW riders to exceed the speed limit a time or two (I may even be one of them). I like my heated grips and don't care who knows it, it's an air cushion seat (get it right!), and I only have one accessory socket and I don't even use it so don't go gettin' all uppity on that point.

Besides, I ride a Triumph now anyway. Left the BMW back in the States.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
"Later I see a Goldwing, now do these things fall under the listing of motoerbikes? I mean they're basically a 700 lb ,two wheeled car with armchair seats, surround sound sterio, air suspension and a reverse gear. They can't actually lean around corners..and look !! He's got a bloody trialer and side car on too. Pete"

Pete just wage to everyone. Also I think you grossly under estimated a Goldwings weight. The current models are as heavy as 925 pounds......:eek:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, another waving thread. Here's what you get when you search for "wave" in Titles Only. Duplicates really aren't duplicates, they're different threads with the exact same title...

Motorcycle Wave
Correct Wave Protocol
Why We Wave At Other Bikers
The new anti-wave
Why most Harley riders don't wave?
OT: why Harley riders don't wave.
The Wave
I got my first "Honk, thumbs up, wave" today.
motorcyclist wave
Why don't they Wave???
The Wave
The Wave

I previously posted this list in a thread entitled... you guessed it, "Do You Wave to Scooters?" :rolleyes:
Wow, so many other wave threads but you forgot to mention that none of them were half as funny as Mine :HappyRoll:

Of course they all miss the point, if your riding your bike as it was meant to be ridden, ie, flat out, struggling to keep the front wheel on the ground at one end and controlling the huge rear wheel power slide at the other then you wouldn't be able to let go of the handle bars would you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also I think you grossly under estimated a Goldwings weight. The current models are as heavy as 925 pounds......:eek:
Now Lee, I really don't think that we should let the truth or the facts get in the way of a good story.

Pete

·
Registered
191 Posts
My take on the situation broken down by instance

Kid on moped: Treat as any bicyclist. Leave them alone as long as theyre not impeading traffic. If they are....apply the appropriate rude gesture for your part of the world. (middle finger here in the US)

The guy commuting on the 125 bike: I think hes more a real biker than most of us. 5 days a week sitting in traffic on a bike. As long as hes wearing proper gear (kit), and hes acting like a motorcyclist should. Ill wave. I wish I could commute to work on my bike.

Most scooterists, at least here in the states, are ill equiped and ill trained. They barely respect the rules of the road and know nothing of our ettiquite or culture. IGNORE, unless they wave first. That indicates that they are at least TRYING to not be douche bags. Encourage them to get a real bike and take a training course.

BMW, Goldwing, and Harley riders Ill group together for this one. Give them the benifit of the doubt. Wave....if they dont return it...they're the douche, NOT YOU!!!

Motor Police: As long as they're not in the process of giving YOU or another of our brothers a ticket....then they're just another biker. They're just as likley to die from some cager talking on their cell phone as you are. Most of the ones Ive talked to admit that they are more forgiving to a competent biker than to car drivers.

i think Ive spent too much time thinking about this...time to go ride!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Peterrose,

Am I the only one to realise that your tongue is firmly in your cheek. Maybe because I'm a Brit as well and appreciate our somewhat offbeat sense of humour:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Peterrose,

Am I the only one to realise that your tongue is firmly in your cheek. Maybe because I'm a Brit as well and appreciate our somewhat offbeat sense of humour:)
Ah yes, you have exposed me as a waffling old fool, I am full of worthless drivel packaged and supplied as humour.

As the majority of the members on here seem to be American, I can understand how this flies way over thier heads.

Pete

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I was once talking to some BMW riders next to Blue Mesa Reservoir in Colorado. Their GPS said they'd averaged 117mph on the 60 mile stretch from the last town. Great bunch of guys to ride with. However, some of their bikes didn't have single sided swingarms, so obviously I couldn't wave at them! :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ah yes, you have exposed me as a waffling old fool, I am full of worthless drivel packaged and supplied as humour.

As the majority of the members on here seem to be American, I can understand how this flies way over thier heads.

Pete
Does that mean that American bikers aren't worth of a wave either?:p

1 - 20 of 63 Posts