Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

The owner's manual states semi or fully synthetic 15w/40. With the preferred being Mobil 1 Racing 4T.

Does 15w/40 exist?? I bought the above and it is in 15w/50 viscosity.

A quick google search reveals this answer from Mobil:-

"Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W-50 is marketed specifically for Triumph motorcycles."

I'm guessing then that this will do the trick? Please tell me yes! I want to do an oil change tomorrow. Oh and it cost me the thick end of £30.00

What do other people use?

Fankeweverymooch :-D

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,810 Posts
Auto Zone has motorcycle-specific Mobil 1 4T in 10W40 and 20W50. $9/quart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went with the 15w50 in the end. Feels fine so far. Will probably drop it again in a couple of K miles.

The stuff that was in there went in after the first service at 500 miles....some 3 years ago! :eek:

Brakes were a bit spongey and the fluid black so bled that through. Again this was from factory. The amount of air in the lines was incredible!

Off for a good 700 miles from Thursday to Saturday so we'll see how she runs (and brakes).

Whoop :D

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Hi Hoona,

I've been running Mobil1 15/40 for the past 85,000 miles. Last time I did valves the inside of the engine is spotless clean. I get about 7,000 on a oil change.

Here in the states, the Mobil1 I use is marked as "Non energy conserving", usually has a gold or red cap on it, and lacks the super slippery friction modifiers that gum up the clutch plates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts