Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was directed to Turn-one motorcycles and the owner Charlie Yensukjitt as being a bit of a Triumph guru. I visited his workshop and the place was packed to the rafters with Triumphs of every type (except a bonnie). He said he heard me pull up and could tell I had staintune pea-shooters. Apparently he does a lot of custom engineering as well as the stock-in-trade work and servicing.

Have any of you guys in Melbourne had any experience with Charlie? Any input you can offer in terms of quality of work, expertise etc. If so, what type of work had you had him do and how have you found him to deal with?

Brendan

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm not in Melbourne so no 1st hand experience but I've heard nothing but good stuff about Charlie's work. He's supposed to be a whiz with the triples but I don't know about twins. Try checking on the Ratbags forum.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Today I was directed to Turn-one motorcycles and the owner Charlie Yensukjitt as being a bit of a Triumph guru. I visited his workshop and the place was packed to the rafters with Triumphs of every type (except a bonnie). He said he heard me pull up and could tell I had staintune pea-shooters. Apparently he does a lot of custom engineering as well as the stock-in-trade work and servicing.

Have any of you guys in Melbourne had any experience with Charlie? Any input you can offer in terms of quality of work, expertise etc. If so, what type of work had you had him do and how have you found him to deal with?

Brendan
I've been told Charlie is the best in Melb, all or most triumph riders know and use his knowledge, had his number, but lost it with my fone recently, want to find him again as I'm going to take my new bike to him when I have time ! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I met charlie a few times and he was going on about he does warranty work etc... then i spoke to someone last week from Triumph Australia who says he cant do warranty work.. if you have a problem he just tells people to take it to Peter Stevens, thats because he isnt allowed.

Also Charlie was not Triumph top tech dude in Australia as he says and others say. He was just a mechanic at peter stevens and not even a Triumph trained one so i was told. He has his little gimmick where he adjusts your throttle like he did to mine.

Did you know he doesnt even test ride your bike, no ones bike. Not sure what the go is there.

Charlie likes to talk alot about himself an tell you how good he is and it seems people fall for this ****. I am guilty of it too at first but not now.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Any mechanic that worked on pre hinkley twins is gonna have a preset idea how there tuned,now I put my new new bonnie in for a service.and I can tell ya,it runs better,thats a factory trained guy,who has the balls to say'well we know your cutting your baffles,it runs good-no problems'':)J.B.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I met charlie a few times and he was going on about he does warranty work etc... then i spoke to someone last week from Triumph Australia who says he cant do warranty work.. if you have a problem he just tells people to take it to Peter Stevens, thats because he isnt allowed.
So TT who do you use in Melbourne? I used Charlie and found him a bit inconsistent. He worked on my bike and re-jetted it. It seems to run well but I since he worked on it I only get about 140km per tank of fuel before I have to switch to reserve.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bonnie-S,

I use Dyno Bike in Moorabbin - never had a problem in over 5 years of servicing - Triumph and Kawa included.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So TT who do you use in Melbourne? I used Charlie and found him a bit inconsistent. He worked on my bike and re-jetted it. It seems to run well but I since he worked on it I only get about 140km per tank of fuel before I have to switch to reserve.
Hi guys, really don't know just what your on about ?
I have had nothing but great experiences with his work, my bike is now a power machine and gets over 240 klms per tank !
read this I posted recently on other forum :

Hi everybody, mostly those here in Australia or Melbourne Victoria specifically.

I took my 2008 carby model Black Bonneville with 4500 klms on the clock to asian charlie today.
well, I have to tell you, the bike I rode home was a totally different bike I rode there.
it is so smooth, with **** loads of power and simply goes like a thousand jets !

he's such a funny guy, protects his secret tuning methods with real cloak & dagger stuff. I had nothing to do but wait for my bike a few hours & he was happy for me to be there whilst he went to work on all the normal fiddly bits, adjusted just about everything, clutch, throttle grip and response etc too.

but when it came to the actual carby tuning, I was banished to outside the workshop and entry for an hour, that was cool, he is a God when it comes to Triumph tuning or even perhaps a magician, and a magician wouldn't show you how he does his tricks !

when he finished the tune he personally test rode it too,
all I can say, is go see charlie, he's " THE MAN " !
guys bring their bikes to him from all over Australia too !
five bikes arrived today for servicing and tuning while I was there,

the things he showed me, that according to the local dealer were done at the first service but hadn't, makes you realise just why most triumph owners come to him, he does over and above what's required, and all with a great cheeky smile !!
Go ride your new Bonneville now and have fun, he told me, and I did !
:HappyRoll:

Charlie even took the time to call me a couple of days later to check if I was happy with the result,
and of course I was !

·
Registered
317 Posts

Also Charlie was not Triumph top tech dude in Australia as he says and others say. He was just a mechanic at peter stevens and not even a Triumph trained one so i was told. He has his little gimmick where he adjusts your throttle like he did to mine.

Did you know he doesnt even test ride your bike, no ones bike. Not sure what the go is there.

Charlie likes to talk alot about himself an tell you how good he is and it seems people fall for this ****. I am guilty of it too at first but not now.
not sure why your tune wasn't a success, perhaps you messed about with it after he did his stuff ?
I am sure if you weren't happy & genuinely had a problem he would sort it out, it's very rare that people have a worry with his work and dedication to triumph tuning.:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
not sure why your tune wasn't a success, perhaps you messed about with it after he did his stuff ?
I am sure if you weren't happy & genuinely had a problem he would sort it out, it's very rare that people have a worry with his work and dedication to triumph tuning.:confused:
Excuse me? "I messed about with it after he did his stuff"? Gimme a break.

All he did was take the slack out of the throttle and set the rear brake to low that it was useless. He talks about how he does this and that but its all rubbish. He told me to my face he does warranty work no problem, but that was a lie. Just like Triumph top tech ******** i hear all the time about him. He NEVER test rides the bikes, everyone knows this, even Triumph know this.
If you like him good luck to you, go there I dont really care either way. I just mentioned a converstaion i had with someone last week, was very interesting.

I wont be going back there. But i am sure he will still have his fanboys everywhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will work it out when i get closer to service date, but it wont be charlie.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Excuse me? "I messed about with it after he did his stuff"? Gimme a break.

All he did was take the slack out of the throttle and set the rear brake to low that it was useless. He talks about how he does this and that but its all rubbish. He told me to my face he does warranty work no problem, but that was a lie. Just like Triumph top tech ******** i hear all the time about him. He NEVER test rides the bikes, everyone knows this, even Triumph know this.
If you like him good luck to you, go there I dont really care either way. I just mentioned a converstaion i had with someone last week, was very interesting.

I wont be going back there. But i am sure he will still have his fanboys everywhere.
wow, you obviously have an ant up your skirt pal !
Hmmm, your not alittle racist or something are you ?

check out the rave reports on this site and others about his work.
obviously if you get your info 2nd or 3rd hand or talk to PS triumph they'll tell you bulls..t about the guy anyway 'cose he has taken pretty much most their customers.
even some sales guys from PS take their machines to him & recommend him !
to say "He NEVER test rides the bikes, everyone knows this, even Triumph know this." well he test rode mine, so I don't know where you got that info, probably from some dropkick too ?

anyway I suppose it's different strokes for different folks, whatever floats your boat,
ride safe, when you get your bike right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Racist?...you are full of them arent you?... "playing with it after tune and now i am racist". Is that all you got?.
He changed your oil and talked up how good he is so that makes him a god with Triumphs. Damn....I hope he doesnt say the sky is red because we will have these lambs in here saying it is also.

Ohh btw.. you seem to think i have a problem with my bike for whatever reason but i assure you my bike is perfect.

wow, you obviously have an ant up your skirt pal !
Hmmm, your not alittle racist or something are you ?

check out the rave reports on this site and others about his work.
obviously if you get your info 2nd or 3rd hand or talk to PS triumph they'll tell you bulls..t about the guy anyway 'cose he has taken pretty much most their customers.
even some sales guys from PS take their machines to him & recommend him !
to say "He NEVER test rides the bikes, everyone knows this, even Triumph know this." well he test rode mine, so I don't know where you got that info, probably from some dropkick too ?

anyway I suppose it's different strokes for different folks, whatever floats your boat,
ride safe, when you get your bike right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
He might do a good job. BUT he isnt all he says he is.
well sometimes we are all not what we say we are ?

TTNorth & Bonne-Sunshine, check out the many glowing reports, as suggested by Forchetto,

I think the pros, far outway the cons & speak for themselves,

IMHO :D

good luck in keeping your bike working well or finding someone who doesn't push their own barrow when they know their stuff ! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
How's Charlie with shocks?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per my previous post, I'm rapt with Charlie's work on my bike to date.

Question: has anyone had their shocks done at Charlie's? I want to replace the OEM dodgies for Ikons front and back and wanted to know if they'd had any experience with Turn-One's work in this area.

I'd do the rears myself, but I'm fitting shorter shocks and can't be bothered stuffing around with them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How's Charlie with shocks?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per my previous post, I'm rapt with Charlie's work on my bike to date.

Question: has anyone had their shocks done at Charlie's? I want to replace the OEM dodgies for Ikons front and back and wanted to know if they'd had any experience with Turn-One's work in this area.

I'd do the rears myself, but I'm fitting shorter shocks and can't be bothered stuffing around with them.
Hi Pete,

look, changing the stocks on the rear is quite simple, but I am sure Charlie would do it for you no problem, give him a call, he's a great guy, Funny but great ! :D

someone said he can't do warranty work, well you wouldn't expect him to, he is not a dealership, if you has a problem with your machine and want it fixed under warranty, then of course you take it back to a dealer !
he is just a great Triumph aftermarket tuning GURU IMO

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bugger it - you're right. I'll get the rear Ikons and install them myself. I'm getting new tyres in a few months so I'll get Charlie to do the front forks at that time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bugger it - you're right. I'll get the rear Ikons and install them myself. I'm getting new tyres in a few months so I'll get Charlie to do the front forks at that time.
I got Charlie to do the front and rear Ikons shocks on my Scrambler. I bought the shocks from Zpower and got him to fit them. Also got him to fit to supply and fit Metzeler tyres. I just figured let him do it all seeing he was servicing the bike.

Charlie is a bit of a different character and I can see why Peter Stevens may not like him given the number of Triumphs I see in his workshop and maybe even some customers may not like his style.

My experience with Peter Stevens is just average and Charlie's work is excellent. And his tuning, throttle and gear box adjustments and much better than Stevens

1 - 20 of 21 Posts