Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took me four years to put on the 70k. The bike has held up remarkably well. I do most of my own maintenance. Valves, oil changes, chain and sprockets, brakes, etc.
I replaced the steering head bearings between 50 and 60k, turned out they were fine but changed them anyway.
Replaced the stator a few thousand miles ago_Other than that it's just been regular stuff.

Bike started burning oil 20 or 30k ago. I'm at the point that I'll just run it until it dies. I can't see doing a rebuild on it.

I rode it 1200 miles this weekend. A lot of it at 100mph (I love Nevada). Bike runs right along. Doesn't corner too well at speed but it's not really that kind of bike to begin with.

I hope to get the bike to 100k before I get something else. I'm guessing another year or two.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well done, AVM! I'm hoping my 03 gets to 100K as well. Thanks for letting us know what you had to do, maintenance wise.

Who knows, by the time our 03's are dead and buried maybe Triumph will come through with a worthy successor for an adventure touring bike!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good call. I've put 21,000 miles on my 05 Tiger,mainly 2 up touring in Europe. I've been carefully considering replacing old faithful with a 1050 Tiger but whilst the new model is more dynamically capable it is not as good for 2 up and luggage. Looks like mine is only just run in so new suspension might be a worthwhile upgrade and keep her a while longer. I've 2 big European trips planned for this year and reliability is paramount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts