Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still amused that our governmental television station can say "a night out on the p!ss" but this website doesn't allow me to type it.

Dr Karl, Australia's comical answer to your Dr Phil, gives a rather basic, easy to understand explanation to what happens to our level of hydration when we drink: and eat too. The process that he explains in this vid is exacerbated as you get older.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-23/dr-karl-on-hydration-in-all-its-forms/4275978

In my opinion, the result is dryer structural tissues in the body which makes them tight, leathery and ropey. This goes a long way to explaining a hangover and why hard lives produce leathery geriatrics.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
What a helpful video, people might even pay attention

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Excellent explanation especially the way he explained ADH. As bikers we are also exposed to Dehydration be open to the elements more with insensible fluid loss as well. I appreciate your posting of this very good video. thank you

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Sorry but I think the guy is full of sh*t. You urinate TWICE the amount of alcohol that you consume? I don`t think so. I can drink half a bottle of whiskey and don`t need to urinate at all.

There is no scientific evidence, he says, that drinking a certain amount of water a day has health benefits. He`s obviously never heard of kidney stones.

Obviously, you only get to be a talking head on the TV if you have something different and controversial to say. "Drink lots of water, it`s good for you," is hardly a newsflash item. So, I think Dr. Belly button fluff is just trying to be interesting, rather than informative. Oh, sorry, didn`t you know? He won an IG nobel prize in 2002 for his research into belly button fluff.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Sorry but I think the guy is full of sh*t. You urinate TWICE the amount of alcohol that you consume? I don`t think so. I can drink half a bottle of whiskey and don`t need to urinate at all.

What ! Ever ?? :D

There is no scientific evidence, he says, that drinking a certain amount of water a day has health benefits. He`s obviously never heard of kidney stones.

I thort he said the water was contained in our normal intake of food and beverages to a large extent , not you dont need it :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
I almost never drink more than a litre of water a day.

Can't be sure but it doesn't seem to harm me any.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I almost never drink more than a litre of water a day.

Can't be sure but it doesn't seem to harm me any.
In the clip Boldor posted the Doc says 2.25 litres a day but this can come from fruit , soup, tea etc etc . Its not purely glass of water style intake that counts :)

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
No fruit no soup, I do however get rained on a bit, does that count?

I take a normal size water bottle to work and don't often finish it and in the evening Ill have a pint of drink, that's about it.

Food wise sandwiches at lunch and a normal evening meal, bit of water there but not much I'd guess.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Spank, I'd venture to guess you're living your life in a slightly dehydrated state. I'm not sure if you'll ever see the harm from this, unless you move somewhere hot. Lol.
That said, we do get a good bit of fluids from eating, but you still need much more fluid intake than most people ever drink. Now if that fluid intake is in caffeinated or alcoholic beverages, you're only borrowing the water included.
As someone who exercises quite frequently(as well as works in the elements) I drink my fair share! Maybe I'm drinking enough water so that others don't have to?

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Maybe but oddly my hangovers are worse if I've drunk a lot of water th day before,

I think perhaps my body has adapted to the life of a desert dweller.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Maybe but oddly my hangovers are worse if I've drunk a lot of water th day before,

I think perhaps my body has adapted to the life of a desert dweller.
avoid too much salty fatty food , try to eat some vegies and fruit ,drink a
bottle of water a day ,coffee makes you pee as does alcohol.so causes dehydration to worsen.

Sports drinks , aspirin and a dark room to sleep througfh as much of your hangover as possible are sound methods to deal with a bad hangover .

I dont know that drinking a lot of water prior to the alcohol is going to help ? during ...probably....after definately :)

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Nope and nope.

I get better hangovers if I'm dehydrated going into a drinking session and waking up in the morning.

Today I've had a can of lemonade and two cups of tea.

I feel fine.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
I think my body's just weird..

·
30,461 Posts
I am still amused that our governmental television station can say "a night out on the p!ss" but this website doesn't allow me to type it.
piss piss

Apparently you can type it.

Piss.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Let's not turn this into a pissing contest, see.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
I was going to try to turn it into a piscine competition but didn't want to be accused of going in a fishing expedition.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
You're just taking the piss now:D

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
You smell like piss.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts