Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a story to tell about an especially memorable meal?

Okay, I'll start.

I did the Great Glen Way walk http://http://www.greatglenway.com/The_route.htm
a couple of years ago. I ended the trek in Inverness, staying at a wonderful, small hotel called the Heathmount. After a nice soak in the tub and a couple of bracing malts, I had an exquisite three course diner which consisted of langoustines, fresh from the pier, grilled with a bit of garlic butter; another order of the same langoustines (oh dear they were heavenly!); and a dessert of fresh rubbarb crumble with clotted cream. Another malt or two finished off a perfect day.

http://http://www.heathmounthotel.com/

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
We stopped at a Dairy Queen for breakfast on our drive home from Christmas vacation. It wasn't DQ breakfast, it was just something their cook did.

I can't remember ever having better pancakes. The sausage patties were outstanding too.

I will never forget one of the dinners we ate on our honeymoon. The Turtle Kraals, in Key West. I had blackened swordfish. Every bite sent shivers down my spine. My taste buds communed with the angels. It was good. Really good.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Chiasso, Switzerland - 1974 - 3 friends invited 1 friend to dinner for his birthday at the swankiest restaurant in the city. Michelin 3 star. Expensive, exclusive. 7 course meal: ordered turtle soup, white truffles, and imported, assorted beef. Cherries flambe for desert. A salad that was wonderful I'm sure. Imported and local cheeses and prosciutto and San Pelegrino and Boario bottled waters. Exemplary service, simply outstanding - nothing before or since compares.

When the bill arrived the 3 split for the 4. My share in 1974 dollars was $150. The expense made it worth every minute and every cent. The friendships from that one meal have lasted a lifetime.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Although I've eaten in many fine restaurants I find my companion rather than the food makes for great memories.
ahhh! this is far to soppy. I give up.......:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Many memorable meals

Tops had to be a hashed cod at a restaurant in Reykjavik that translates to "Three Brothers." It's the specialty of the house and I dream of going back.

Another was a red snapper on a bed of julienned vegetables at a restaurant that used to be the "O club" in San Juan PR. It was my birthday and my soon to be ex had a local guitarist come over and sing happy birthday reggae style. The fish was awesome.

The best thing I ever ate was a Baltic herring sandwich walking around the marketplace in Helsinki. Not quite a meal but the best my tastebuds ever felt.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The best thing I ever ate was a Baltic herring sandwich walking around the marketplace in Helsinki. Not quite a meal but the best my tastebuds ever felt.
How did you trap it, LOL

Club sandwiches in the bar of the Jardini beach hotel Mombasa, after being on Ops on the border with Uganda 1977 for six months. some of the female tourists where pretty tasty too;)

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Every March for the past four years my buddies and I fly down to Daytona and check into the Hilton near Main St. This was just the Omelette table. Everything is home made the fruit is unbelievably fresh and the OJ fresh squeezed. Breakfast never tasted so good.

·
29,948 Posts
TBA, those langoustines are to die for. My Mum and Dad live close to Inverness - it's a beautiful area.

Food - ah - it can bring back such vivid memories, it's fantastic.

I have had so many memorable meals - I guess I am lucky, but being as I moved abroad, it tends to be my Mums Christmas dinners that I really remember - hell any of her sunday roasts. Fantastic roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings - thick rich brown gravy, and roast beef that was fork tender.

Joy!

·
29,948 Posts
Well, the mention of Ruth's Chris got me thinking.

A girl I once dated was raving on and on about Ruth's Chris, and insisted I take her to the one in Minneapolis for dinner one night, in return for which she refused to sleep with me.

Anyway, while there, she asked me what I thought of the place. I said "it's great, I'll give it a rave review".

Just a stupid comment, nothing more. However, it just so happened that unbeknown to me, our serveer was behind me at the time. Apparrently she overheard that comment, and immediately scuttled off. From that point on in the evening, we were attended to quite closely by the restaurant manager, and certaily had our every need taken care of.

Apparently they were assuming I was some sort of restaurant critic.

Fun!

Shame the manager didn't tell the girl to put out.............

It was quite a good steak, but not even CLOSE to the phenomenal porterhouse I had at the "pittsburgh blue" restaurant in Maple Grove, Mn on thursday night.

Literally fork tender, and the best steak I ever ate in my life. :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
langoustines

Norwegian lobsters living dangerously around Scotland !

Reminds me of a lady complaining to her Sydney supermarket about the can of Australian Pacific Salmon she bought. On the can was 'Produce of New Zealand'. When she complained the supermarket advised her they definitely were Australian Pacific salmon but were caught in NZ waters !

My favourite meal ?

.....my next one !

--------------
Ride on ! ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
The family meals at my grandmothers house when I was younger. She was one of those from scratch cooks....no mixes or measuring cups for her. She could just start throwing stuff in a bowl and by sight and taste get it to come out right. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, okra, homemade biscuits. Usually finish off with homemade ice cream. Lots of good family conversation around the table and usually later, a domino or card game broke out. I'm hongree!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
grilled pompano,fresh out of the gulf on mexico 'bout 10 min. old.grilled on back of boat with butter/garlic/lemon sauce and a cold beer. THATS LIVING THE GOOD LIFE.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The family meals at my grandmothers house when I was younger. She was one of those from scratch cooks....no mixes or measuring cups for her. She could just start throwing stuff in a bowl and by sight and taste get it to come out right. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, okra, homemade biscuits. Usually finish off with homemade ice cream. Lots of good family conversation around the table and usually later, a domino or card game broke out. I'm hongree!!!
My wife is like that too. She can make a seven course gourmet meal out of rice and spam if she had to and she's all about presentation.......even on our daily meals.

Last summer she asked what I wanted to eat and since it was a hot day and I wasn't really hungry and preferred something light, I said I just wanted a small salad.

So this is what she made. And like I said, she's all about presentation......

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
We then had home made burritos. How she can fold them - I don't know. I can't even re-fold a Taco Bell burrito after putting hot sauce in it!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Looks good Hogwylde. My wife's idea of presentation is to take it out of the box before microwaving. Guess which one of us does most of the cooking? :)

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Probably the 2 most memorable meals that I have had in my life have been ;

1) Hitchhiking through Canada in the 80's somewhere between Kamloops and Vancouver stuck in the middle of nowhere with only half a peanut butter sandwich and a Mars bar to last me until I could get to somewhere that had food. Turned out to be midday the next day. That was the best stale sandwich that I have ever tasted. Bite by bite.

2) On the Indian/Tibetan border (where again there were no restaurants or eateries) we were kindly invited into a families home to eat. They served us a type of meat that (as a chef) I couldn't pick for taste nor texture and all of the sound effects couldn't determine.

We sat around going Moo moo (shaking heads), Baa baa, (more shaking heads) woof, meow, squeak, cawcaw, all with shaking heads! I didn't want to know after that. :)

Good memorable would take more than a page. I love food!! :D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
**bump**

Was in Vancouver this week and stopped into a restaurant called the Hamilton Street Grill in Yaletown.

http://www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com/

I ordered their 16oz Ribeye steak with mashed tatters.

I love steak,...cook an excellent steak,...have had excellent steaks dinners all over and,...this place cooked me a steak, medium rare perfect,...in the top 10 of the best steaks I have ever eaten, if not the top 5.

For dessert my lovely server Pam suggested the gingerbread with ice cream something which was phenomenal.

Giving a shout out for those in the area or who will travel to the Vancouver area.

·
Administrator
11,061 Posts
The last morning of a week of camping and hiking in the Rocky's with wife and friends we cooked up a batch of Hormel's Corned Beef Hash. It was the tastiest most satisfying meal of my life. I couldn't believe I had missed out on such awesome food to that point of my existence.

We decided the first breakfast when we got home we'd cook up another batch. In our own kitchen it tasted just like what it is: just slightly better than dog food :( Still can't believe camping made that taste so good.

The most satisfying beer I ever drank in my life, before or since, was that same trip. :D

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
When she complained the supermarket advised her they definitely were Australian Pacific salmon but were caught in NZ waters !
Good thing they started issuing passports to the salmon. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts