Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my triple in the beginning of august. I've sprayed it with water every once in a while and washed it with soap maybe two times during this time. Yesterday was the first time I really washed the bike good.

The lesson. I didn't know dirt can be stuck that bad. Radiator, mid pipe and inner side of the cans were covered in this hard black mix of mud, salt, pitch, oil and whatever else there's on the roads. And it had been basically baked on them in the intense heat the bike generates. I used some heavy solvents to make the dirt go away, but I still had to scrub HARD to get it all off. Even then I didn't get it all clean!

The radiator was most fun, because the dirt was in the small wholes. I almost screwed up the radiator scrubbing the dirt off. The radiator "fins" got slightly bent.

After that I started waxing the bike. It was first time waxing too. I got it nice and shiny, but noticed that the sides of the tank have worn more than other parts because of the knees. The sides need more waxing.

So what did I learn? Wash and wax the ***** bike more often! :hammer:

·
Registered
583 Posts
premier i've got the SAME problem,, i ride everyday so washing after every ride just isn't an option,, i've given up on the inside of cans and rear undersubframe area, as well as radiator, but everything else gets the royal when it's gonna be nice for a few days.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. Well I guess I wouldn't mind washing it everyday if I had water hose handy. But I since I keep my bike in a common garage I don't. I need to drive to another level where I can't get to without contacting the security. And even then I have to pay for it! :-D

I noticed a big drop in cooling system temperature after cleaning the radiator. It was running really hot before.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
On 2006-11-25 06:47, Limey wrote:
Dirt looks better than yellow :hammer: :razz:
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

·
Registered
194 Posts
Try the ACF-50, it really does seem to cling on and let you just hose off a lot of the winter crud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts