Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody using or seen these - hey old timer - what about allen keys on adjustable bars - safe or good luck trying?

Made famous by being fitted to Laverda Jotas in the seventies. These bars allow an almost endless range of bar angles. From extreme racer 'crouch' to sports touring 'flat'. Finished in Chrome. Fits Bonneville and T100 only. Take a look at the matching Universal 1" bar end weights for these bar -
sorry about the free marketing for moto twin but anybody got any ideas on this - freaking awsome bars .

http://www.mototwin.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=92_108&products_id=87

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
No so fast grasshopper. I owned a Jota for 15 years.(sorry I sold it). Thoese bars may look adjustable and when you actualy go to adjust them the move only in the slotted grooves on the bars. These grooves are wat too course and the adjustments are not very good. They move the bars about an inch or more with each groove. In actuality they only work in one position unless you turned them upside down.Now you have 2 positions.
Plus they were VERY heavy.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've ridden the OEMs and I like them.
The ones you linked to are made by RAASK out of sweden.
They are available in 7/8" and 1" in both chome and black.
I have seen, very breifly, a set on a Bonnie Blk. I though they looked good, most people tend not to like them for some reason.

I've read mixed reviews about the Raask knock-offs. The gist seems to be that the fit and finish is good but that the geometery is a little off from the originals.

For a set of bars they are expencive especaily when you convert to pounds.
Thay allso tend to rust (easy to limit with the use of sweatmachines miracle tonic-wd40) in the adjustment point cups if they point upward.
Raask is the only people that make knock-offs. If you want them it is the ONLY choice unless you get the OEMs and convert to 3/4".
If you crash they will fold up and hit the tank.

As Mar pointed out, they are heavy. The Jotas are heavy bikes and lets face it, the Bonnie is no lightweight.

The adjustment points were very course. Raask may have improved upon this though. I would go to there website and fire off an e-mail to them and ask for a good close-up pic of the adjustment grooves.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Confirmed. The bars are from Raask and I agree, the adjustability is marginal at best. I had to use a long breaker bar to get enough torque into the bolts to keep them from loosening-up.

There is a company in Taiwan who makes some of the coolest adjustable bars I've ever seen, but they want me to buy a sea container-load of them. Errr!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, the jota style bars will fold and hit the tank in a crash.
On the other hand, I have seen folks break out an allen socket and set them back to the original position, on the side of the road. Far prefferable to trying to ride home with bent bars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
anybody using or seen these - hey old timer - what about allen keys on adjustable bars - safe or good luck trying?

Made famous by being fitted to Laverda Jotas in the seventies. These bars allow an almost endless range of bar angles. From extreme racer 'crouch' to sports touring 'flat'. Finished in Chrome. Fits Bonneville and T100 only. Take a look at the matching Universal 1" bar end weights for these bar -
sorry about the free marketing for moto twin but anybody got any ideas on this - freaking awsome bars .

http://www.mototwin.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=92_108&products_id=87
I have them and I love them. Very comfortable even on 300 mile rides. Expensive yes, worth it yes. Many different configurations for adjustment. They will loosen up on you. I used blue loc-tite and a hammer to tighten them when I got them where I like them. You can get some black plastic caps from the hardware store for less than a dollar to fit in the screw holes to hide them and keep the water out. I can post some pics on my bonnie black if you want

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
egon thanks for the offer -sure would like to get some photos - but more so and i know this is subjective but your level enthusiasm is different from those above. any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts