Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new round these parts **waves** and shortly to be the proud owner of a black 2006 (56 plate for Brits) tona 955.

Couple of questions then to kick things off:-

1. What tyre pressures as standard?
2. What are the stock suspension settings?
3. Does anybody want to sell me a pillion grab rail cos Triumph are out of stock and can't find one for lurrrve nor money.

Pick up the bike Sat'day. Can't wait! :D

Pip Pip!

Hoona

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Hoona.

1. Triumph recomends F36psi/R42psi (okay for two up, but can be lower for solo)
2. Standard is one full turn from fully CW on all adjusters, two up is roughly 1/2 turn less
3. The Triumph luggage rack is an alternative to the grab bar. Likely something on the aftermarket also.

Brad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, Hoona.

1. Triumph recomends F36psi/R42psi (okay for two up, but can be lower for solo)
2. Standard is one full turn from fully CW on all adjusters, two up is roughly 1/2 turn less
3. The Triumph luggage rack is an alternative to the grab bar. Likely something on the aftermarket also.

Brad
Thanks Brad :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,396 Posts
Tyre pressures?

Brad,

The manual for my '04 states 32 psi fnt & 38 psi rear.

My experience is that the manufacturers pressures are often on the high side.

ie. for a Sprint ST (all 955 & 1050 models) the manual states 36psi fnt & 42 psi rear but in reality that is the max load psi for almost every sports touring and sports tyre on the market as stated on the side walls.

Therefore in the case of a Sprint 36 & 42 may not be correct depending on riders weight, riding style and load.

I would suggest that to state what the manual says is fine but it is a guide only when it comes to tyre pressures, you should check with your tyre manufacturer and advise your weight and riding style.

On my '04 Daytona I run Michelin Pilot Race mediums and I am running 30psi front and 33 - 34 psi rear. (Road riding not track)

Tyre pressures very from brand to brand ie. Continentals tend to run higher pressures than say Michelin.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Dave, Those are the pressures listed in my '04's manual on pg. 88. I really didn't expect our manuals to be different! Maybe it's some legal liability CYA issue? Getting the tire pressure correct for solo riding is a trial and error thing every rider will need to sort on their own.

I'm running F33psi/R36psi with my Corsas on the street on my '04 D955i. The '02 D955i's owner runs 30/31 with PPs. I agree, every tire line up is just a little different.

Brad

·
Premium Member
24,396 Posts
Hi Brad

Wow that is very interesting that the manuals are different!:eek:

What your manual for your Daytona says is what my manual for my '04 Sprint ST says!:swoon: A bike that weighs about 20-30kgs more???

You could right it is some legal thing maybe?

Anyway cheers!:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting discussion re tyres. I know a lot of people tend to run their pressures a couple of PSI lower than stated in the manual but I prefer the feel at the stated pressures....

Anyhoos, I picked the bike up Saturday. All KINDS of awesome :jiggy:

190 mile ride back home, unfortunately most of it motorway and dual-cabbageway...

Talking of pressures, I asked the seller when she'd last checked them. 'Oh not so long back'. Straight to the nearest garage then. 22 front 30 rear. Hmmmm. Also don't think it'd EVER been washed and no oil change since 1st service (not so long ago in mileage terms but 2 years ago all the same).

First remedied yesterday and oil change on the weekend.

Not really played with the second 1/2 of the rev range yet but is it possible to tire of that induction noise?

Not having ridden a triple before, the only thing I can compare the engine and noise to is a VFR that went on a diet and started chewing on barbed wire.

Whoop! Err carry on...!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Hoona6, After regearing my '04 (-1 c/s sprocket) there was less induction noise at low revs, moderate throttle. Engine happier. Wide open in 6th at 9500 RPM, it's all that I could hear...not even heard the TOR exhaust, nope, the honk always sounds good.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts