Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a nearly new bonneville black and have begun to think about all the mods I will make.

I am very interested in this D&D exhaust coated in black ceramic http://newbonneville.com/html/dandd_black.html

my question is, where can I find head pipes that match the black color of this exhaust? The product description says they are not included.

Also, this is my first post, so I would like to say hello

thanks

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hello and welcome

Use the search function at the top of the page. You can find some great information there regarding headers and what people have done. you can do everything from painting them black, to wrapping them, to exchanging them, to putting SS coverings on them, and last but not least, leaving them to bask in the blueish color they will become.
Good luck and safe riding

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the search function at the top of the page. You can find some great information there regarding headers and what people have done. you can do everything from painting them black, to wrapping them, to exchanging them, to putting SS coverings on them, and last but not least, leaving them to bask in the blueish color they will become.
Good luck and safe riding

Cheers

thanks

what kind of paint would I use? Is there a paint that can withstand the heat without coming off? I'll do a search, but if you know off hand, painting seems the easiest. I would want flat black of course

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If you're going with black ceramic coated exhaust, I'd suggest that you get the headers ceramic coated too... makes good sense to me. The headers get much hotter than the exhaust. Ceramic coating helps reduce the normal operating temperature, and cools down much quicker.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you're going with black ceramic coated exhaust, I'd suggest that you get the headers ceramic coated too... makes good sense to me. The headers get much hotter than the exhaust. Ceramic coating helps reduce the normal operating temperature, and cools down much quicker.
from the searching I've been doing, it seems like this is the best option

I'm going to try to find a place that does that near me so I don't have to ship the pipes anywhere.

I'm in nyc, btw so if any of you happen to know a place let me know

edit: after some more searching I found out that ceramic coating will not be as expensive as I thought it would be. I'll most likely be doing that

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Since a lot of Hot Rodders are doing this to their car headers, you might try some of the local Hot Rod supply, they might have a line on some reputable places.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I would like to know if that holds up over time with the heat. Since you did that in Feb and you live in Ohio, I don't imagine you have put too many miles on yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.

thank you for the suggestion. I would obviously love to do something like that if it is a long term solution since it is much cheaper, faster and easier. However, I would rather not have to redo it all the time and have to deal with bubbling near the engine.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah, understandable. It's held up with over 500 miles on since I did it, but I'm sure it'll need touching up at some point. I can say that the paint keeps the headers much cooler than without, and it's made to withstand up to 1200 degrees, so the pipes also cool much quicker after turning the bike off.
As for the bubbling, with the proper prep and patience, I got absolutely no bubbling and/or flaking near the engine. Looks spot on.
It's also about $290 bucks cheaper than ceramic coating. I just didn't have the money at the time. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find all kinds of information
that will feed your modification rat here and in the Tech.
Enjoy.
cg

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
you can try British customs, I think they do it as a swap.
Nope... British Customs discontinued that core exchange program. You now have to send in your headers to be ceramic coated and shipped back, just as you would with any other coating service shop. It was worth the extra BC charged to get the headers up front, and virtually eliminating down time. The way they work it now, you can get your headers coated where-ever in the same amount of time... and probably for a lot less than $200.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
thanks

what kind of paint would I use? Is there a paint that can withstand the heat without coming off? I'll do a search, but if you know off hand, painting seems the easiest. I would want flat black of course
if you wanna go on the cheap you can use BBQ paint from the hardware store. Works great and lasts! Ceramic coating is really the "right" way to do it, but BBQ works!

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you wanna go on the cheap you can use BBQ paint from the hardware store. Works great and lasts! Ceramic coating is really the "right" way to do it, but BBQ works!

If I try this first, but then later on decide to ceramic coat the pipes, will the layer of BBQ paint cause a problem? anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
If I try this first, but then later on decide to ceramic coat the pipes, will the layer of BBQ paint cause a problem? anyone know for sure?
no, it won't hurt a thing. The only bad (good in this case?) thing about the BBQ paint is that gasoline will take it right off. I mean right F-ing off :D. Careful while rejetting, ask me how I know!

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no, it won't hurt a thing. The only bad (good in this case?) thing about the BBQ paint is that gasoline will take it right off. I mean right F-ing off :D. Careful while rejetting, ask me how I know!

hey sweatmachine, what wheels did you put on your bike and what year is the bike?

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
transaction complete!

I am now the proud owner of a 2008 bonneville black

damn she looks good. If only she knew what I had in store... :cool:

I feel like a kid in disneyworld

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts