Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an old biker with a few Triumphs in my past. I took an opportunity a short time ago to get a used Bonneville Black, and have had a great time riding it and planning modifications. I was lucky to find this sight, which has provided answers to many of my questions.
I am trying to find after market handlebars that would take weight off my wrist, which has an old injury. It looks like most bars from the suppliers are shorter and would make me bend more forward. Can anyone suggest bars that would provide a more relaxed riding posture? It would be really cool if the new bars work with existing cables and lines.
I'm also looking for a way to eliminate the reflector under the tail light, which, to me, has no purpose. Is there a trick way to deal with the holes short of plugging and repainting the fender?
Finally, I was surprised that I couldn't find cooling fins for the exhaust pipes like were on my old Bonneville. I would figure some enterprising company would make them for the retro look, which is the way I'm heading with my bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I thought the stock bars were just about right for optimum sit up position with no weight on your wrists. Are you holding on too tight, sometimes that will do it too. Maybe you could adjust the stock bars a little as well to get them in a better location for you. All that would cost you is a little time.

Left that back reflector on, and dont know about the cooling fins.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Check out newbonneville.com
they have a nice set of handlebar risers.
they worked for me.
bill

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also have always rode with bars a little higher and back farther. after a little adjusting the angle due to a slightly loose bar clamp from the dealer, it works out fine. got used to the position now, got the bike last summer. went thru a period of numb hands till I relaxed my hands and arms. now about 2300 miles and really comfortable.
cliff

·
Registered
694 Posts
rmak: The bar risers from newbonneville.com work great. They bring the bars up an inch, and slightly back. If you have short arms, consider the Triumph solo saddle. It will lower your seat height about 1/2", and combined with the risers reduce the reach. Your stock cables will work fine. The best way to deal with the reflector is shorten the fender. If you are careful, and using masking tape along the cut edge to prevent chipping, then file it smooth, and using black touch up paint to seal the edge, only you will know. I've done it on a couple of new Bonnies, and the shortened fender makes a much more proportional look to the rear end. I thing the only reason Triumph added that reflector was to satisfy some remote legal requirement.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the good advice. It may be a matter of getting used to the bike (I got it in the fall, so not much saddle time), but I'll probably go for the risers to relieve as much pressure as I can on the bad hand. That scrambler bar idea is interesting. I'll have to check out how they look in person.
Tommyturbo, if you happen to read this, I would be interested in what profile you use when you bob the fender. Do you follow the original line of the fender with the tapered sides, or do you kind of lop it off straight across? I don't want to start cutting on the thing and be unhappy with the results.
Thanks, Rich (rmak)

·
Registered
589 Posts
The Scrambler Bar wont fit on the Bonneville as discussed in another post, its a 7/8's bar, where the Bonneville is 1".

Nathan

·
Registered
519 Posts
Rmak...Welcome...Great to have another Northeast Ohio rider joining in...Alot of people like the Bellacorse flat track bars...I'm thinking of trying them myself. P.S. my wife grew up in Randolph on Laubert Rd....We also have a group of Ohio riders called the "Packless RATS" that plan meet and greet low key rides...watch for these in the spring...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DoctorJay-Thanks for the suggestion on the bars. Will the upcoming rides be posted on this site? I have a few buddies who ride classic British bikes. I hope they would be welcome too. In the "it's a small world" category, tell your wife that we bought the old Debolt place across from the Black's farm on Laubert. She probably knows where that's at!

Rich

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
You might also want to look into those Norman Hyde "Western" bars, which are supposed to mimick the bars of the 60s, although they require longer cables.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the same issue, but without the old injury.
My 1969 Daytona is very comfortable on all days rides, but the new bonneville is not.
I think its partly the bend of the stock bars, and the rear set of the footpegs that puts force on the wrists.
Maybe the bend of the bars along with the force on the wrists is what bothers me, only the left wrist...

Almost any other bar will need the cables changed, unless its shoter and lower.

I tried the risers out, they look ugly and stupid to me, and did not help at all, I think its the bend of the bars that bothers me...

I might try something that bends inward less, but that can
still use the same cables...

Brett

1 - 14 of 14 Posts