Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

came across this on ebay today!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Progressive-412-12-Chrome-Shocks-Triumph-Bonneville_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem110375206834QQitemZ110375206834QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i'd like to jump on these, but i'm kinda broke right now lol. plus i dono if these would be the best rear shocks for my riding style and weight.

all i know is i've seen progressive get a handful of good reviews on here, and these go for 322 on regular online vendors and that doesn't include shipping.

so someone can snag a deal now if you want shocks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do these work on the standard Bonneville? I think that it says that they are for the Bonneville America and Speedmaster.

They are nice looking shocks, though, and I have been thinking about upgrading on my own 2007 Bonneville T100.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
i'd like to jump on these, but i'm kinda broke right now lol. plus i dono if these would be the best rear shocks for my riding style and weight.
A great deal maybe... if you have an America or a Speedmaster. They'd only be a couple of inches too short for your standard Bonnie.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
A great deal maybe... if you have an America or a Speedmaster. They'd only be a couple of inches too short for your standard Bonnie.
Thats true. 12" Progressives are 1-1/2" shorter than the stockers on a Bonneville,so they would be pretty low.The price seems ok too,but they couldn`t figure shipping to my house???I`ve seen standard length 412s for our bikes for $197 on line though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw those too. How would they compare to the Icon shocks ? I'm going to upgrade my shocks and the price is attractive. Would they be suitable for someone my weight - 115kg ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know much about Icon but Progressive has a good reputation of high quality.

If you go to their web site it will list part #'s in differant weight catigories.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I saw those too. How would they compare to the Icon shocks ? I'm going to upgrade my shocks and the price is attractive. Would they be suitable for someone my weight - 115kg ?
dingo,115kg is about 253lbs,right,so if the guy has the different spring rates available,just get the "heavy duty" version.When you order from Progressive,the have the options listed as heavy[over 250lbs or maybe 200]] or standard[under 250lbs or 200lbs].I have the light version at 200lbs fully dressed to ride,and have only bottomed the shocks once,on the lightest preload and a minus one inch length.They are very compliant,dual rate springs,getting stiffer at the bottom of the travel.Progressive also lists 5 or 6 different spring weights available,to really fine tune them for yourself,at a very reasonable price.[compared to the stupid stiff price and spring rates of $160plus for Hagons Nitro shocks].The Progressive 412 is a well made,good quality,good performing shock,for not a truck load of money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks rodburner, looking on the Progressive web site they suggest the heavy duty version is only required if operating at, or near, maximum recommended capacity, 200kg for the T100, for more than 50% of the time. I ride solo all the time so the 5 position preload should allow me to fine tune the standard version, for my weight.
No 13.5" 412 shocks listed now on that site :(

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I`m using 412s made for the Sportster [ or XL models ,12-1/2"] on my bike and have been for thousands of miles,only requiring a thin shim of plastic or beer can material to take up the slack between SAE and metric. That gives you 4 or 5 length options as well as chrome or black versions.
You can cut the upper shroud off with tin snips if you prefer the open look.[mine only had the upper shroud]

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
www.onestopmoto.com I think sells 412 Progressive Bonnie shocks the cheapest . I got mine for 199$ . They're for the Scrambler but they're virtually the same 14 1/2 inches for the Bonnies.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hijacking own thread

lol, can someone check these out real q uick?

http://www.onestopmoto.com/PS_Fork_Springs_p/sbps-11-0296.htm

interested in doing a new front/rear suspension setup in the near future, and this seems to be a great price for front fork springs. my question if anyone can tell if these are directy drop ins that replace the stock ones?

i need to have the front forks done at my dealer since i returned my jack, and they said as long as its a direct drop in and doesn't require any mods, it'll only be half hour of labor (minium charge) which would be 45 bucks. and i'm ok with spending that, if it does require mods it would be an hour so it would end up costing 90 bucks and that's so not cool. lol.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also is there a thread anyone knows of (couldn't find one via search) that has info on recommended suspension setups for various weights and riding styles?

i'm 71" tall, and weigh 177lbs.

i'm not speed crazy, but i'm more in for comfort and i'd like some better shocks to further inspire comfort and confidence in the twisties!!!

anyone off the top of their head know of a good front/rear setup based on that info?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Go to the Progressive Suspention web site to find part no's that match your weight. The search the web for best prices.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
lol, can someone check these out real q uick?

http://www.onestopmoto.com/PS_Fork_Springs_p/sbps-11-0296.htm

interested in doing a new front/rear suspension setup in the near future, and this seems to be a great price for front fork springs. my question if anyone can tell if these are directy drop ins that replace the stock ones?

i need to have the front forks done at my dealer since i returned my jack, and they said as long as its a direct drop in and doesn't require any mods, it'll only be half hour of labor (minium charge) which would be 45 bucks. and i'm ok with spending that, if it does require mods it would be an hour so it would end up costing 90 bucks and that's so not cool. lol.
I called Progressive about this already back in Nov 08 . Different serial numbers but are compatible . Onestop sells for the Scrambler but it will work . The salesperson said the Scrambler set ups ride a little stiffer than the Thruxton. Didn't get into the regular Bonnies but they'll surely fit ( Just keep in mind they're 14 1/2" , not 13" ). I purchased the Scrambler rears and like them a lot . They look a little different than the Thruxton ones because they're capped top and bottom ( think the Thruxton ones are only capped on top ? ) but anyhow I got them for 200$US + I thing 7$ for shipping . I think they went up to 215$ now but still a great deal. Fork springs are next . IMHO for the money you can't beat the Progressives . But then again just about any shock you put on your Bonnie would be better than stock. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Group Buy

Why don't someone propose a group buy of the proper shocks for oour Bonnies. Should be able to work out a deal with either progressive or one of the vendors.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try motorcycle accessory warehouse on eBay. They have them for $200. And fork springs for $68. Search for PROGRESSIVE 412 SERIES SHOCKS PR 13.5`` CHROME #4124215 and you'll find them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also upgrading my suspension, and being 6'4" 240lbs everything I've read say's that I should go with the Progressive 440. Now are the 440's worth the additional 200 + dollars over the 412's? If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hagons offer the best of breed mix of price and quality - and the customer service is excellent, plus a huge range of options.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Progressive 412 12.5" chrome shocks

Rodburner,
I want to put the Progressive 412 12.5" shocks on my 2004 black bonnie. I assume with a shim as you mentioned, they will fit. Ouestion: Does this lower the height of your seat? I want mine to be about an inch lower so my Roadster windshield will cover more of my face. Also, do need to shorten your kick stand? Doesn't look like yours in shorter in the pic.
rrm

I`m using 412s made for the Sportster [ or XL models ,12-1/2"] on my bike and have been for thousands of miles,only requiring a thin shim of plastic or beer can material to take up the slack between SAE and metric. That gives you 4 or 5 length options as well as chrome or black versions.
You can cut the upper shroud off with tin snips if you prefer the open look.[mine only had the upper shroud]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts