Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi shershgold,

All new ones are directed to read the site AUP and the stickies up top as well as give a brief bio so we can know who it is we are talking with as well as their bike.

There is a sticky that deals with maintenance manuals.

And please don't ask where one can be downloaded. This site and forum does not condone the coping of pirated copyright material.

So it's either the Haynes or the Triumph one.

Thank you,

Don

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
shershgold,

The Triumph manual is very good, although a bit pricey.

However, it is written in British-engineer-ese. That is, the Cautionary text is usually placed AFTER the step it deals with. So, it is very important to read through the entire procedure before starting the job.

pr

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Can all please read our forum sticky on this subject and it will same you some trouble.

What Don has said is 100% correct this issue comes up regularly which is why Don did the sticky in the first place and why Don and I ask noobs to read all the stickies.

Cheers,
DaveM:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Triumph manual is very good, although a bit pricey.
Really? You think so? I'm not convinced it is. I bought a nice paper copy but I'm a bit disappointed compared to other shop manuals. It's a bit light on details. For somewhat obvious reasons, it leans HEAVILY on the Triumph gameboy.

I've never seen the Haynes so I can't compare. I'd assume the Triumph would still be better than the Haynes. I didn't even know there was one.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I agree one hundred percent with radix. The factory shop manual is not much more than an extended owner's manual. I believe it was intended as a supplement for factory training.

Unlike other brands of manuals, it will not provide much info for an inexperienced person. If you buy a manual in the hope that it will tell you how to fix anything, forget it. It is not that type of manual.

The only trouble shooting steps it contains require the factory Gameboy. You can do the same, and more, with a TuneBoy. The problem with trouble shooting using either tool is that there may be more faults to a modern motorcycle malfunction than just sensor voltages.

It is nowhere as informative and instructional as the Honda, Suzuki, and Kawaski manuals.

Bottom line, it is a data reference and has schematics. That is about all it has. And it does have a few uncorrected errors in it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've read about how the service manual isn't very good, but no one has suggested a good one you can purchase.

Tim :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've read about how the service manual isn't very good, but no one has suggested a good one you can purchase.

That's because there isn't one!! Just buy the Haynes and the Triumph one and read them both... then use the search on this forum and then ask questions.:D
One can always find a class on motorcycle maintenance, we have a great program here in L.A. at Trade Tech.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have the factory manual as well and don't think it is that great. Actually for an OE manual that would sit on a dealers shelf its pretty bad especially when compared to older model Sprints manuals. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
A Cunning plan perhaps?

Could it indeed be an evil scheme by Mr Bloor to encourage those of us less mechanically inclined to use the dealer network because we will never understand the manual:confused::rolleyes:

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can only find a haynes manual for the 955 engine.

I don't think they have one for the 1050 engine yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
+1 on that - I looked for a haynes manual for the 1050, but it doesn't seem to exist...or am I missing something?:confused:

·
Registered
896 Posts
I can only find a haynes manual for the 955 engine.

I don't think they have one for the 1050 engine yet.
I can confirm that there isn`t yet a haynes/clymer workshop manual for the 1050
Thats why the unofficial distribution on here of the triumph manual is such a hot topic
I am more guilty than anyone on this forum regarding the triumph manuals distribution, as it was I who set the ball rolling. Now I tow the forum line, and no longer distribute it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts