Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a few of us where I work who like to get there on 2 wheels. This morning, there was a bit of impromptu drag racing between stoplights. The balls of the S3 were not in question and were rightly feared.

But there was an epic and historic battle between the most competitive riders: one on a Harley 883 Sportster and the other on a Burgman 650 scooter.

It started as a joke, but when the light dropped, the scooter jumped ahead off the line and kept increasing the gap all the way to the next light. It appeared as though the Sporty never had a chance.

The Harley rider, usually of good humor, is now very defensive and has taken up the black art of making excuses.

So I've got 2 questions regarding the incident:

1) Do you think the defeat was more attributable to man or machine?

2) Don't you think it would be fair for the winner to rip the Harley logo off the loser's jacket and keep it as a trophy on his desk? :-D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Rematch with a better rider on the Harley. You might also make sure his bike is working properly. Back when I rode an 883, it had some pretty good get up and go from 0-60, but after that it was depressingly bad compared to the speed triple.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i think a scooter rider is probably more apt to use all of what they got, and a hardley rider is more apt to know jack***** about riding skills,

***** the jacket, rip that logo***** right off the tank, and give the lead park spot to the scoot,,,, well, of course behind the speedy :hammer:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The scooter was black the hardley was yella. end of story. :-D

·
Registered
215 Posts
This kinda ***** is exactly why I got rid of the Hardley Ableson! Not really, it has more to do with the jackasses that I was stuck in a "family" with. I got tired of catching ***** for wearing a full lid, padded jacket, decent gloves etc. One word: Darwin.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That scooter is probably close to half the weight of the Harley. In a quarter mile, the Harley would reel the scooter in, but it would probably be close in an 1/8.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ha ha, that is such a great story and would be very accurate, I know that cos Burgman sorta kicked my sad white as$ one day about two years ago. Same scenario, cept I was on a VTR 1000 and was caught with my pants down. I pulled up all dominant-like, I mean it was a student-type and he looked uninterested in me. But did he crank it as he jumped the green light. I was smiling at his gall, but when I decided to punish him (and I was hauling him in rapidly) he pulled into a fuel station and was probably laughing his box off. It was a 300m lesson, auto 650, quick on the trigger will always spell trouble for a sporty.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Un-f#ckin believable.... A scooter?! Man, I'll never make fun of gay guys again. What, with that kinda' horsepower at hand.....jeeeeezuz.
:knkknk:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a little research into the numbers, and it's actually a pretty good bench race.

Suzuki Burgman 650 Scooter
55 peak hp
46 peak ft-lb torque
top speed: 110+ mph
520 lbs dry
CVT transmission (in manual mode)
rider: extra 50 lbs body weight

Harley Sportster 883
57 peak hp
53 peak ft-lb torque
top speed: 100 mph
560 lbs dry
5-speed manual transmission
rider: extra 50 lbs ego (now on the side of the road)

This incident might make a good real-world example for the American Angst Harley site.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A rematch is definately in order.
Loose the race loose your ride, it's the only way :razz:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in Paris...lots of scooters around and a good sample of 500-600 cc Scooters. Here one has to get a bike license to ride anything on 2 weels above 125 cc. So those riding big scooters (Tmax, burgman...) have at least basic skills of bike riding, and usually have a scoot to commute and a bike for the WE.

No matter what, a 600 scoot will always beat a Harley on short distance (200-300m), and I'm hard pressed with the S3 to keep up in 1st, its only when I hit 2 nd (if the distance between 2 lights is long enough) that I wind past them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
To quote a renouned author "The scooter was black the hardley was yella. end of story" (Limey) Ergo black adds about 100hp to the mix...read it and weap Cheap!sean..

·
Registered
700 Posts
Reminds me of the story online of the Spped 4 600 being neck and neck with the Buel 1200 thunder bolt or what ever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts