Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first real winter weather of the season hit Little Rock today. Freezing rain, sleet, and some very light snow. Tonight the streets here are very slick. Wrecks everywhere. At least the service at the IHOP on Heritage was fast tonight.

I have been riding my Sprint 1050 all winter as my main transportation...but man, nothing cuts to the bone like the cold that you get when you get freezing rain. It is a wet-heavy cold. 27 degrees with high humidity is painful. Yeah, I am sure you dudes from Canada think we are wimps.

I have enclosed a pic...enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got a beard of my own, not as much frost as yours though. You know what is really crazy, my stock Bridgestones have exactly 6000 miles on them. The rear is squared off and the front is cupped so bad that it feels like I'm riding down a corrogated road all the time. Freezing temperatures and expired tires is NOT fun. I have her scheduled for the 6000 mile service and new tires, Pilot 2CT, tomorrow. Maybe the ice will melt enough for me to get her down to the Triumph dealership here in the Rock.

I actually like riding in the cold. In just a few months it will be like a sauna here in Little Rock again. Try 98 degrees with 100% Humidity...ugh! Oh, and mosquitos!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, I got a beard of my own, not as much frost as yours though. You know what is really crazy, my stock Bridgestones have exactly 6000 miles on them. The rear is squared off and the front is cupped so bad that it feels like I'm riding down a corrogated road all the time. Freezing temperatures and expired tires is NOT fun. I have her scheduled for the 6000 mile service and new tires, Pilot 2CT, tomorrow. Maybe the ice will melt enough for me to get her down to the Triumph dealership here in the Rock.

I actually like riding in the cold. In just a few months it will be like a sauna here in Little Rock again. Try 98 degrees with 100% Humidity...ugh! Oh, and mosquitos!
Mosquitos try june bugs ouch! I haven't figured out how to get bugs off my bike they are like tar all summer long. They are frozen solid this time of year thou maybe some 80 grit and a d/a...:cool:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Brave or what?!

Big up from here in Blighty.

That just looks sooo cold.

I'd go back to bed, personally!:D

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Yikes, it looks cold in the Rock. Here in Dusty it's a balmy -4F this morning with a snow drift mid-thight deep in my front yard. I did start mine yesterday in the shop, stood there and looked and listened to it for about 5 minutes. Does that count for anything?:eek: I know that Dusty is appropiately named now.... I have brown dirt sticking to the top of the drifts.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
I had the rain yesterday and the cold today. Not at the same time like you. I'm a little gun shy of the icy roads. Been there and fell down. Not good.

As I was riding to work on crappy roads in the rain yesterday, it came to me that it was like methadone - not quite the real thing but lot's better than nothing. This morning was clear and the roads were clean and dry. Even though it was about 25 degrees, it was back to real riding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The temps in the Rock today did not get above freezing. The roads were still quite slick. It really bugs me when I go more than 2 days without riding my Sprint. My brother came down from Northeast Arkansas to visit...so at least I had another way to get around but I just don't care for riding in cars anymore. I actually feel safer riding!

I have an Aerostitch and some good Rocky thermal underwear and that keeps me quit warm. There are actually quite a few motorcyclists here in Little Rock that ride all year long...so I am not the only nut!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well I just started 3+ weeks of vacation yesterday here in South Florida. Beautiful riding weather and I'm enjoying it every day. (Hearing your stories reminds me that I made the right decision not accepting a job offer in Chicago.) Sorry to hear about your bad weather. It's riding season here now so that's why I plan my vacation time accordingly.

Don't mean to rub it in. LOL

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Working on your tan Dave? :D

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The first real winter weather of the season hit Little Rock today. Freezing rain, sleet, and some very light snow. Tonight the streets here are very slick. Wrecks everywhere. At least the service at the IHOP on Heritage was fast tonight.

I have been riding my Sprint 1050 all winter as my main transportation...but man, nothing cuts to the bone like the cold that you get when you get freezing rain. It is a wet-heavy cold. 27 degrees with high humidity is painful. Yeah, I am sure you dudes from Canada think we are wimps.

I have enclosed a pic...enjoy.

DeltaBlues officially wins the "Biggest Balls" award for riding in that weather in my book!

Cheers!

--Kory

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good News. Wednesday the temps warmed up here in the Rock to the upper 30's and most of the sleet and ice had melted off the roads. I got my Sprint down to the Triumph dealer for 6000mile service and new Pilot Power 2CT tires. I have been riding around town and can tell a big difference between the Power 2CT's and the stock Bridgestones. Now, it is early am Friday and the temperature is already 69 degrees. The sun is out....I love how our weather changes. We did get some rain here last night, but it will take another good rain before all the chat and sand is washed off the roads.

So, if the roads look good, I may ride over to Hot Springs and up HWY 7 and try out these new tires.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE...The temp today got up to 72 degrees! Rode out to HWY 60 and then to Lake Nimrod. Decided not to go down HWY 7 today. There is still too much sand on the road. I really like the Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. I was running wide in right hand curves wide with the stock bridgestones and now I am able to cut nice tight lines in the curves...or I should say I now have a pick of which line I want to take. Huge difference in traction and feel.

There were many motorcyclists out today in Little Rock and the surrounding area. I have bugs on my windscreen and face shield.

I added a few new pics I took today with my new tires. No one can call the Sprint 1050 ugly...it really is a great looking bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
deltablues, I've seen you on Highway 10 a couple of months ago. I have the same color sprint -- sunset red. There are 5-6 guys in Central Arkansas with 1050. Maybe we need to ride down to Triumph one day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
riding in the snow and cold'll make a man of you, if it don't kill ya.

Remember, always have a good rub down with a hot woman afterwards but not too hot as that could kill you too.

Pete

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey a1fa,

That would be cool. I wish there was a meet for Triumph owners sometime this spring or fall in Arkansas. It is not like we don't have beautiful scenery, great roads, and hospitality to offer here in the Natural State.

I braved the 24 degree weather today and rode down to Barnes&Knoble to get more motorcycling magazines...the traffic was really bad here in the Rock.

I like the Pilot Power 2CT's a lot. They actually build up heat even with temps as cold as they are right now.

Merry Christmas Everyone...take a Christmas Ride if you are able!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts