Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm watching a show on the tele called Auto Trader. Almost every episode I've seen them stress the number plates significance to the cars value etc.

I'm curious to know if the number plate stays with the car when you sell it or if its like US plates and the owner keeps them.

Tonights episode they said to look at the front and rear number plates and see if the name on the bottom is the same front and rear. Kinda odd so figured I'd ask.
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Number plate usually stays with Bike till the end of it's life.....

It used to show not only the year of manufacture, but also the county the Bike was first registered in......

The only exception might be a vanity plate......but I never owned one in the UK so don't know.....
( one of my Bikes over there was A38 WOV...A being 1984/85 model year, and WOV I believe being the Midlands/ Lincolnshire area)

Now they are laid out differently, as ( I believe) the registration of new vehicles changes twice a year, instead of once

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
All vehicles in the UK come with their own registration plate. When sold the reg plate goes with the vehicle and the details of the owner are changed on a central database.

Any plate can be removed and held as a separate entity, then transferred to another vehicle, eg if it's vanity plate or has some significance to the owner. But the original age built into the plate, eg indicating the plate was issued in 2008, can not be fitted to an older vehicle, only younger. A replacement registration has to be issued to replace the plate that has been removed from a vehicle. All these changes show up on a history check of the vehicle.

I have a vanity plate on the bike - and its easier to have smaller plate to make it less plug ugly than the stock size :eek:

If the front and rear plates have different maker's names in small font, then either the front ot rear end has had an accident - probably..

·
Registered
308 Posts
In the old days when a bike was built, the frame and engine were stamped with a number and then they [the factory] registered the bike. The number plate would be listed on the original V5 documentation along with the engine number and frame number. The number plate itself isnt really worth anything unless the engine and frame number and V5 all match.

I believe (although not sure) that if one is restoring an old bike and has the original paperwork, one can request the original plate if its available.

Since plates were issued sequentually, the prefix can be used to work out the year of manufacture.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If the front and rear plates have different maker's names in small font, then either the front ot rear end has had an accident - probably..
As for manufacturers ID on the plates.
Regulations where tightened up, some time ago to prevent the practice of cloning vehicle ID`s. so now the shop that makes up a set of plates must be licenced. So that when the plates are made they should carry the name and post/zip code of the store.
When you go to an auto store to get plates made up you have to take documentary evidence with you, to prove you own the vehicle, such as personnel photo ID (passport or Driving licence) and vehicle documents V5 log book (pink slip). This info if written down in a record book.

There is however a grey market for "show plates" that people use, but risk a stop by the cops

for other info check out the DVLA website
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles.aspx

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man thats odd. Here in the states plates are pretty much insignificant. In fact here in MI they required that when your plates expired, on your birthday every year, you had to get a new plate with the new design. So a new number was issued.

I wonder which way is cheaper.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a replacement plate made for my speed triple in January before I had a trip to France. Had one made up with the Euro GB badge just to be legal, instead of faffing about with stickers.
The plate makers are now very thorough with checking ID and documents before they will print you a legal plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts