Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phil, Kinver, West midlands. Bought Legend recently. Well happy. Well,well happy.

Just changed oil and filter for first time. Drained out less than a litre. Was less than well happy about THAT.

But as the ass***e is now living in Texas.............

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
1. the world is full of them.

2. probably worth checking the oil warning light / switch / wiring - to find out why it didnt illuminate and tell you something was not right.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You did remove the drain plug and not just the filter didn't you?

Oil light is for pressure I think, not level.

[ This message was edited by: martinyoung on 2006-12-03 06:01 ]

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Oil light is for pressure I think, not level.
Agreed. Assuming the sump capacity is approx 4 litres, and only 1 litre has drained out, the guys engine may have had only 25% of its required oil. I would have expected that to have caused the oil light to illuminate.

If Bluestone hasnt fully drained the sump, and has put in the quantity of fresh oil specified for an oil and filter change, it is possible the engine may now be overfilled with oil.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Not sure if the low pressure would come up TBH. About all the light is good for is pump failure or a totally empty sump.

I agree with your comment about overfilling.

Would have thought that the sightglass would be empty if there was only a litre in the sump so would have thought it would be noticed prior to the oil change.

[ This message was edited by: martinyoung on 2006-12-03 15:07 ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure its the right drain plug also. Its been done before
my mate did it on his Adventure and over filled it
Sco

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
New oil, 4 liters for the triple. New filter. Ride her carefully and listen for knocking. also check she's not burning it. You may have got away with it if you haven't thrashed her too hard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.
Did remove both plugs - even left it for a while, poured in some new stuff and watched it come through.

Engine sounds good, no knocks, no smoke, so I'm touching wood with crossed fingers.

[ This message was edited by: Bluestone on 2006-12-15 11:58 ]

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
You aren't far away from Brum are you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brum born and bred, now live just other side of Stourbridge.

Not far from the Bridgenorth Road - and all of its delights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The oil light is for pressure so assuming no wiring probs, (does the light come on at ignition), then you at least had pressure and that means feed to the bearings. you only ned enough oil to keep the oil pump feed covered for this. You seem to have been fortunate though. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts