Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having posted on this site for the past 4+ years, I have noticed that Triumph riders from across the world often have similar interests. While we in the U.S. don't know that much about the European football (soccer) neither to people in other parts of the world know a great deal about our football. There is one sport (or game?), however, that seems to transcend all borders in all nations; billiards or pool. I am no hustler, but I love rolling the balls around the table. With a little applied "english" (not the language, "English") it is the perfect example of geometry and physics.

Tonight, I watched ESPN' presentation of the 9-ball finals for men and women. I must say I was more impressed by the women's play than the men's. One of the Asian challengers whose name I will not attempt to spell, defeated England's Allison Fisher. Allison is a gorgeous blonde and a great pool player. That challenger, however, was handily defeated by "the Irish Invader" Karen Corr.

I was wondering if pool or billiards is as interesting to many of you as it is to me. I know the English tables (pool billiard and snooker) are considerably diffferent in size from the American models, but the game seems to have world-wide appeal. How about it, have you ever picked up a cue?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I love playing and have to say I am pretty good. I currently use a variable weight Orchid cue. Pool and Ping Pong are my games.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Used to play but no longer have a table. Mainly used to play snooker (billiards).

FWIW my wife plays better than what I do. :(

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
When my wife and I lived in England, it seems (with a few exceptions) that the best pubs always had a pool table -- played many a game on them. We even went as far as joining the Ipswich Snooker Club -- gorgeous place it was and the tables were just as nice. Don't think I ever got a run of more than 20 points, and that was probably luck. If I ever get my mansion, a regulation Snooker table is going in the game room!

If I could find a nice place here in Cheyenne that also served the appropriate refreshments, I'd have to start playing again, regularly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bar Billiards

Having just returned from an extended stay in the UK I was very pleased to find a pub with a Bar Billiards table in it.
For those of you who are not familliar with this game, it's a traditional pub game played from one end only. The table is quite small compared with Billiards and is different in having holes positioned in the table at different possitions, three skittles on the table placed in positions that make it hard to pot a ball into the high scoring holes without knocking over a skittle. The knocking over of a skittle wipes out your score. As a teenager I spent many a Saturday with mates playing this game and drinking large amounts of ale, I found the more I drank the better I played. Unfortunatly these games fell out of favour as a landlord could put a meal table in its place and earn more from the punter buying food than playing Bar Billiards. Good to see some find it better to entertain than feed.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I got pretty good in my yout. I got a table for my kids. Something every kid should know. They moved out leaving me with the table. Just last night I had a neighbor over and we played for several hours. What a great game!!

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Picked up a cue? Sure; it's a great game. I can usually score in the mid 140s or 150s. Oh, wait, different game.

Yes, it's all physics, but there are interesting variables, even apart from one's ability to move the cue in a straight line.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I played a lot of bar room 8 ball (a ****-um game) and in my memory, won more than I lost. My wife still plays in a couple of leagues (APA rated 6). Her motorcycle caries a pool theme and her nickname "Billiard Bitch" on the tank.

Rack 'em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts