Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Great forum - nice place to visit.

I returned to bikes just over 3 years ago and have just sold my 2003 BMW K1200RS which I bought new. I'm a BM fan and was keen to buy another one but right now, with a new business opening, $29,000 for a new 'S' is just a little too much.

But, I've been an admirer of Triumphs for some time and especially the ST so basically, if I can't have my BM, I'll get a new ST.

Just looking for comments on the 1050 and especially anyone who's ridden the new 2007 version.

Going back to a chain drive is probably the only reservation I have. Yea, I know, pretty ordinary gripe but I'm a lazy bastard and hate cleaning up all that lube spray! Is it really a big deal?

Anyway, thanks for reading and I'll keep my eye on the posts.

Cheers,

Clinton

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's not a big deal if you are like me and don't clean it. I just shoot some lube on it when I think about it and that's it. So far 18k miles, and it might need an adjustment but so far hasn't needed one in about 8k.

Hopefully I don't lose a chain sometime, but so far it seems to be doing fine, lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
tuk Chains and lubes are much better these days :cool:
I use Wurth dry lube, good protection and does not throw of at all :-D :-D

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
welcome tuk - just what we need - another Australasian to beef up the downunder contingent :-D

In a nutshell here are a couple of recent threads by fans of the Sprint.

sprint raps

ST love fest

There are also some threads by those who have unfortunately had problems.

The chain isnt such a big deal.Nowdays with oring chains they last well and lubrication is approx each 800km and takes me approx 1 minute on the centrestand.It does chuck a bit of muck around but not too difficult to deal with.

You'll love the triple after a BMW - anyway give it a whirl and see what you think.

Good luck.

Grant :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
G'day Tuk have a look at the site on my sig as there's a few pics and info there.

Lubing is a non-event if you go for a scottoiler. I'm trying the loobman this time a slightly more manual process, but still I'm happy with it. There are some pics on my site.

The 1050 ST is a great all rounder. Suspension is only fair, engine is 10 out of 10. Not like a ZX14 or ZX10 top end rush but for having heaps of real world usable power, that has a great note and linear power delivery band that goes from 3000-10000 RPM and just enlarges the smile as the RPM rises.

Hard to get a ride on one I know, but I think Graysons in Coffs should have a demo or might know a sympathetic local owner :)

Welcome and good luck
Russ

·
Registered
134 Posts
On 2006-11-14 01:34, DaveM wrote:
tuk,
glad to see another Ozzie here mate. We will take over this forum yet!

Cheers,
Davem :cool:
Jeez you kangaroos talk a lot of gibberish.

Tuk, I had a Beemer before mine too, and had the same reservations - set and forget for shafties.

No regrets though. The ligher weight and more responsive power more than make up for having to see if the chain needs adjusting every so often.

Lubing is piece of p*ss. Either Scottoil, or apply after every few rides when the chain is still warm.

Cleaning can be a bind admittedly, but there's plenty of spray on/hose off stuff out there that will stop one having to get the mitts dirty.

Do it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
As I was saying before I was so rudely interupted.

Fair suck of the sav mate I'm as dry as a dead dingoes donger! :cool: :-D

These Sprints are as flash as a rat with a gold tooth. :razz:

jameskiwi you should know by now we speak Straain in this forum. :-D :-D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the feedback, especially on chains. I figured the whole chain lube thing would've moved on a bit since I had my last bike with a chain but nice to know what's available.

Thanks for the link to the other threads Grant and your nice short wrap of the ST Russ. That line about real world usable power is what I was hoping for and what I'm used to with the BM. Just checking out your links now.

And Jimm-e, you think we talk funny! :eek:

Getting closer to making the decision and now have to choose between red or black, although we all know red is faster!

Thanks again everyone.

Clinton

·
Registered
134 Posts
On 2006-11-14 04:51, tuk wrote:

Clinton
Och aye. They donnae say much as grunt over 'ere.

Hearing the occasional Aussie squeak is good entertainment :razz:

DaveM. My humbles for rudely interrupting. Didn't know you were mid song, and simply pausing for breath... or was it the sun-fried brain turing another cog?? :moon:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Put a Scott's oiler on it and you won't be cleaning up anything. Fill the tank once every two weeks or so and your good to go!!

My 2002 Sprint ST had 31,000 miles on the original chain when I traded it in for my 2006 Sprint ST. Over 9000 miles now and the chain looks brand new.

Take Care,
Keith
:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm guilty as SR1 as to poor chain lubing. The new chains are so much better than they were 10 or so years ago it's really a non issue anymore. Hell, they had to get better with the power and fat tires all the sport bikes come with now! I clean mine when I replace the rear tire. Just get a stainless bowl and put in some diesel fuel and lay the chain in there for a few minutes. Roll it to the next section and finish your beer. If you really want to go nuts dig out an old tooth brush. But I lube it very infrequently as ALL the bikes come with either 'O' or 'X' ring chains so you are not actually lubing the chain anyway, jut keeping the outer plates from rusting. Use something light and the 'Gunk Level' is greatly reduced.

If you like a more high tech chain oiler this one looks to be very controllable........

Pro-Oiler

Whatever you choose for the chain maintenance the motor is an absolute GEM! These are the best powered bikes for the real world there is IMHO. There might be a couple of others that are lovely like maybe an Aprilla but, I haven't ridden them and for as good as these motors are there isn't a better deal out there.

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-11-14 23:47 ]

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
On 2006-11-14 05:30, jameskiwi wrote:
On 2006-11-14 04:51, tuk wrote:

Clinton
Och aye. They donnae say much as grunt over 'ere.

Hearing the occasional Aussie squeak is good entertainment :razz:

DaveM. My humbles for rudely interrupting. Didn't know you were mid song, and simply pausing for breath... or was it the sun-fried brain turing another cog?? :moon:
Och laddie wit ar ye blatherin aboot mon?

Ye dinna ken wit aam takin aboot do ye laddie?

Ye great steamin nit wit! :-D

Actually James,
my pa was born in Musselborough, Scotland my ma in Ballyutogue County Antrim, Northern Ireland and I was born and bred a NZ Jaffa! :-D :-D :-D

I grew up on "oor wullie comics" (Scots) and had an Irish accent until I started school.

I appologise for the thread highjack. :wink:

Tuk,
I use Motorex chain lube Extra Strong, very good stuff.

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Welcome Tuk,

If you see an Aston Green 03 Sprint with panniers zipping around Coffs during weekdays, give me a wave!

I love my Sprint and I've ridden the 05-06 versions and guarantee you will love the character of the engine, as well as the outright poke it has.

Rod

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Rod, I'll keep a lookout for you. I'll be in Bellingen on Monday, driving the black NAB Rav4. If I make the purchase, I'll look you up!

Stlakid, thanks for the comments on the bike. Everyone seems to say the same thing, the motor's a real gem! Hmmmm, I'm getting real interested now.

Thanks for the note too DaveM. I'll be getting up to Gold Coast/Bris a bit once I get the machine so I'll let you know.

Cheers all. Great feedback!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts