Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not asking if I should get an aftermarket exhaust or which once. Just wondering who feels the same way I do.

I know people like aftermarket exhaust because of the weight loss and the exciting louder sound, but how many of you get an aftermarket exhaust because riding with a quiet stock exhaust is a less involved, less visceral experience? I appreciate the smoothness of the triple but sometimes I feel the experience of the whole ride is just too smooth and the quiet exhaust only magnifies this characteristic. Yes the intake howl is great, but you aren't always accelerating like that everywhere you ride.

My first real street bike was a used 2013 Honda CB500F which came with a slip-on and it wasn't crazy loud but sounded great and improved the ride experience. When I had my Yamaha FJ09 I added a Yoshimura complete exhaust and again, it didn't make the exhaust crazy loud, it just made it deeper, a bit louder and better and it made riding more enjoyable and more fun.

I don't want a full on screamer, just something to add more feel to my riding experience. The SC Project SC-1R is my go to. I am going to pull the trigger soon.

Anybody else find they have a strong desire for a louder more visceral exhaust sound to improve their riding experience? Did you get an aftermarket slip-on or other exhaust that is a bit louder and did it improve your riding experience? (not just sound cool...lol. although there is nothing wrong with that)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here is my take: I got an Akra full exhaust for my prior FZ-07 for 2 reasons: a little louder, and a little more power (the FZ-07, unlike the 765, could be chipped-tuned to take advantage of a full exhaust).

Frankly even with a baffle in, I thought it was louder than I would have wished. All the videos in the world don't give justice to how much louder it is in person, especially the low end bass. My kids could clearly hear me coming from way down the block, and I definitely had to wear earplugs (I would wear them anyway to protect my hearing, wind noise can be damaging as well). I can't imagine what it would be with baffle out.

So yeah, a louder exhaust sounds cool, but the novelty wore off for me. I'm also in my forties living in the suburbs, so take that into account where I don't want to be the douche in the neighborhood with the obnoxious exhaust. Could the Triple stock exhaust have maybe a little more low end...sure. Could it scream a little more at higher RPM...sure. But frankly at higher RPM I do think the Triple has a nice exhaust note, I hear it just fine through my bluetooth and earplugs, so when I want to hear more exhaust I just keep the RPMs high and off I go !

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my take: I got an Akra full exhaust for my prior FZ-07 for 2 reasons: a little louder, and a little more power (the FZ-07, unlike the 765, could be chipped-tuned to take advantage of a full exhaust).

Frankly even with a baffle in, I thought it was louder than I would have wished. All the videos in the world don't give justice to how much louder it is in person, especially the low end bass. My kids could clearly hear me coming from way down the block, and I definitely had to wear earplugs (I would wear them anyway to protect my hearing, wind noise can be damaging as well). I can't imagine what it would be with baffle out.

So yeah, a louder exhaust sounds cool, but the novelty wore off for me. I'm also in my forties living in the suburbs, so take that into account where I don't want to be the douche in the neighborhood with the obnoxious exhaust. Could the Triple stock exhaust have maybe a little more low end...sure. Could it scream a little more at higher RPM...sure. But frankly at higher RPM I do think the Triple has a nice exhaust note, I hear it just fine through my bluetooth and earplugs, so when I want to hear more exhaust I just keep the RPMs high and off I go !
Fair enough. I am hoping the exhaust I try is just loud enough. I guess it would be best to hear in person.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have never been much of an exhaust person. The closest I've been is when I had a "this is a nice exhaust" moment on my T120. My previous bikes were a FJ-09 and XSR900 and I don't remember their exhausts being impressive.

For me, it's the intake noise the Street Triple makes. I know you mentioned it, but the first time I heard it, I was hooked and that's what gets me going. I've never had a bike that sounded like that.

I think I get what you're saying about the bike being smooth and all, but it certainly isn't quiet (at least at ~7,000 miles). And it makes enough noise that it's visceral enough for me... especially the intake growl.

With that said, thanks to YouTube's recommendations, I've been watching Arrow exhaust videos on our bikes lately and they do sound nice. Kinda tempting... :wink2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine came with the arrow and although I like the sound I've contemplated shopping for a different exhaust just to get rid of the big, discolored, eye sore of an emissions can. Hard to justify that cost though, 5-600 would buy a lot of cool stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,317 Posts
The most visceral sound these bikes make is the intake snarl. Remove the noise restrictor in the intake. I wear earplugs when I ride so largely it doesn’t matter anyways.
As you might remember, with tongue firmly planted in check I named my Street Triple "Nigel." Last year, I was riding on an undisclosed road in the Smoky Mountains with buddy on his Tuono. We had helmet coms on and came upon a slower moving car. He got by it fairly quickly, but I waited a bit to ensure I had a safe opportunity. As soon as I did, I dropped a couple gears and hammered the throttle. Over the intake honk, I heard my buddy say, "there's Nigel!"

And, earplugs always, but I do think the better quality and slightly higher quantity of sound provided by my slip-on increases my enjoyment. With the stock exhaust the bike seems muted, and maybe sounds a little anemic?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am going against the grain here but, my riding is already anti-social enough that I don't want to make it any worse with a noisy can. Went out for a blatt yesterday, late afternoon into early evening. The standard setup is fine, thanks :grin2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The most visceral sound these bikes make is the intake snarl. Remove the noise restrictor in the intake. I wear earplugs when I ride so largely it doesn’t matter anyways.
I am going against the grain here but, my riding is already anti-social enough that I don't want to make it any worse with a noisy can. Went out for a blatt yesterday, late afternoon into early evening. The standard setup is fine, thanks :grin2:
Which is what makes aftermarket exhausts on this bike an interesting decision exercise. On My FJ-09 the Yoshimura Y-Series Exhaust was incredible. It sounded so nice and deep in it's growl and yet when I rode around it wasn't stupid annoyingly loud. I want a bit more sound but not too much. There is a fine line. I think I have found one which will satisfy so we'll see how it works in the end.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Over the years, one of the first things i do to my new cars and bikes is changing the exhausts. Adding a more free flowing exhaust to a car adds about 10% more hp. A little more exhaust sound is also what i like, not obnoxious but like you said more satisfying. Ive done the same to my bikes. On a bike the increase is hp is at best minimal. On

my TTR, the addition of the x pipe cat delete and aftermarket pipe is perfect, with a little more seat of the pants power and Much better sound.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I love my SC1-R! For me it’s the perfect compromise for a slightly louder and sportier sounding exhaust without being obnoxious!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The SC1-R with the baffle out is the perfect balance in my opinion. It makes all the right "snap crackle pop" noises without going overboard

·
Registered
7 Posts
The SC1-R with the baffle out is the perfect balance in my opinion. It makes all the right "snap crackle pop" noises without going overboard
I could see that exhaust being quite enjoyable. The more I think about it, my biggest gripe about the Arrow is it almost isn't enough. I think a little louder would be better or keep it stock. My favorite exhaust I've ever had was a full Akrapovic carbon race system on my FZ-09.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ditto. I like to ride, um, briskly and don't want to attract any more attention. And a cop I used to ride with pointedly said "if I can hear you coming at full blast, I'm going to pull you over." And he liked to ride very fast.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I prefer to ride 'Swift and Silent'. The power and performance of modern bikes is enough to keep me completely entertained, without the extra noise.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Stock exhausts are so damn heavy though... changing it out is worth it for the weight savings alone. For that cop saying he'll pull you over based off the sound: he doesn't know what gear you're in ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts