Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an experienced painter to powder coat my frame and swing arm for a reasonable price, $300 usd, and delivered it. The result was a beautiful looking paint job - and they aligned my swing arm for me. I will talk to the painter when I regain my composer. I'm curious how he managed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
hey motersikelist , please tell us the name of the shop and where it is located .

and how the hell did your swingarm get bent like that ?

cheers , Woody

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The painter shrugged it off and said it may have happened during the drying process. I don't know how 400 degrees F could do that but it is 30 years old.

I believe Forum policy discourages giving bad reviews of vendor performance so I won't. My advice is to get the lacquer finish, or do it yourself. My friends at Gate City Cycle, where parts are available and knowledge of old British bikes is abundant, had a new swing arm for me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
400 degrees will not do that. I'll tell you this ... if a painter had damaged something of mine that badly and then 'shrugged it off' there would have been some ugliness ... at least ...

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Take him to small claims court for the price of the new swingarm. Even if you lose, he has to show up and lose a day. Will teach him a lesson.
I hate giving stuff to shops I don't know.
regards,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
13,257 Posts
From your original post, it sounded as though your powdercoater not only did the complete powdercoating service, but also STRAIGHTENED a formerly bent swingarm.

NOW, I believe I understand that THEY bent the swingarm sometime in the process of coating your parts.

The $300 price tag now makes complete sense.

There is no way on earth a powdercoat oven can cause that kind of damage. Word to the wise - I always photograph all parts being sent out to sublet trades "just in case".

·
Registered
411 Posts
my guess is that the painter put a bar through one bush hung it to coat and bake and at the same time, hung an anvil he was also doing , on to it to fill the oven. Are the bushes welded or brazed on ?.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NOW, I believe I understand that THEY bent the swingarm sometime in the process of coating your parts.
Sorry about the misunderstanding, sarcasm isn't an effective form of communication.

The replacement swingarm is on the bike. I was able to salvage the bushings but pressed new in after 2 coats of black frame paint. It looks ok, works as it should.

The answer to how the swingarm became misaligned died with the painter...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts