Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my 70 Thunderbolt 2 years ago I had some parts left :
- nearly complete bottom end of late ( 69 / 70 ) A50 in parts with some additional primary and timing covers and "sport" 650 camshaft:

- little rusty but standard 650 cylinder in good shape will be good with + 20 pistons

- rear fender and complete rear brake ( came with Paris frame and bits )

- big pristine home market Lightning ( Rocket or Clubmann ) tank and side covers

And a month ago I bought 67 frame with rear brake, rear wheel, oil tank, seat and most of the hardware + lamp with electric loom and front triple trees:

So mainly what I don't have is front fork, wheel and fender. I bought brand new front fork sliders for 69/70 fork, so have to buy stanchions with bushes, valves, plastic sleeves and springs, lamp holders and covers.
All the parts bought at Paris swap are pretty rusty and worn, but complete.
So it's going to be a long build with lots of looking for parts and proper hardware.
Aha, I have left over small port head with 32 Amals in very good condition, which was refurbished with Kibblewhite valves and guides.This head made my BSA the fastest road going BSA in Ontario, but when selling it I decided to come back to original Thunderbolt head with one carb to have the bike original and with matching numbers.
This is how my Bitsa should look like when done :

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also decided to add some upgrades my former BSA lacked, mainly 3 phase alternator with solid state regulator, voltmeter instead of ammeter and oil pressure gauge.
As in my former BSA front brake will be carefully rebuilt to make it effective 2 finger device and springs in the front end will be Triumph springs to make this front fork nicer to ride.
Rear shocks will be new, seat recovered, wheels with new closed bearings, spokes and tires
I hope to find good used rims, unfortunately my rear rim is too rusty to use it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what left from my wheels after full day of work:

I never had to dismantle them for my previous BSA, so never anticipated amount of work involved in it.
Now have to change bearings, paint hubs, turn front drum and buy new spokes, Radelli rims and rear Shinko tire. I already have Shinko tire for a front wheel, also checked them on my former BSA on dry and really wet pavement and was happy with their performance and price.
Aaah rear wheel needs a rear sprocket as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
As many times as I've taken bolt cutters to wheels to extract bare hubs, it is SO REWARDING to be able to successfully remove every last spoke and nipple in order to re-use them! I sheepishly admit to the numbers heavily weigh to the bolt-cutter side in my experience. Thankfully mostly due to the majority of my clients (and me) wanting all new Buchanan spokes.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wheels I bought for my BSA were rusty wrecks, I hoped for rims to be possible to salvage, but rust was simply too deep and after cleaning it re chroming would be necessary which cost more than new rims.
Spokes and nipples - same story.
Bearings are original Hoffman open both sides and hardly moving, some of the covers got mangled during dismantling so have to be changed for current equivalent packed with grease and both sides closed.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after finishing our house second floor renovation I could start again with BSA wheels, buying rims, installing new bearings:

and painting hubs

Got some parts for a front end and started with fitting everything there:

Some bushes need fitting, but I still wait for backordered parts for this fork so no problem at all.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today parts came back from powder coating and my office starts looking like a motorcycle shop:

I hope to start building wheels next week and engine is a next step.
All these parts looking nicely in my office still need lots of work in preparing and fitting together, so my winter will be quite busy.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last couple of days was spent with tedious task of preparing small rear fender brackets for painting and old bolts, nuts and some rusty elements for zinc plating. Really tired after few hours of standing with my electric drill and brush removing dirt and rust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts