Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Dudes.
I'm visiting from the Sport Touring forum to pose a few quick questions.

After reading Cycle World's article on the new Triumph cruiser, I feel a bit jilted. As if I've been passed over by Triumph. 1600cc's is just too much for scooting around on back roads and the 865cc isn't enough for longer stints. I've always told my friends that if Triumph ever decided to up the size of the Bonnieville's engine to 955 or 1000cc's, I'd sell my Sprint and become a devout Bonnieville fan. I love the power of the 955i's engine and have always shied away from the 865cc feeling that it wouldn't have sufficient power for both me and my girlfriend. I was sort of hoping that Triumph would up the Hp of the Bonnie's engine to around 100. I guess I'm going to have to take matters into my own hands. Do any builders who are familiar with modern Triumph engines think it would be possible to mount a 955i's engine from a Sprint St on a Bonnieville frame? Sound interesting, or has it already been done? What do you all think...Brilliant or Blasphemy?
Cheers,
Rudy

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
It wouldnt look right at all.why not just build a 865 motor up? you can go to 1200 cc with them .The 100hp mark has been crossed with built up 865 motors and you will have ft/lbs down low that will scare you.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Of course it's technically possible to mount a 955i triple in a Bonnie frame... it'll just take a ton of custom fab work. As mikeinva points out, you'd be much better off building up an 865 twin.

If a triple is really what you want, then you'd be best off finding yourself a used Thunderbird Sport. The 885 triple in that bike can be hopped up easily by fitting various parts from an older 885 Speed Triple or (possibly) Daytona. And if you did decide that you wanted to drop in a 955i engine, it would be a lot more straightforward on a TBS, possibly even a direct swap (I don't know).

--mark

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
That is a total non-starter.

What is a starter, however, is the Norman Hyde big bore kit which raises power on the bonnie by 40% and torque by 50%.

Stormin Norman says...'As our American cousins like to say, there is no substitute for cubes'.

Get the bonnie or Thrux, then squeeze the power out of it.

Anything else is just heading for trouble.

http://normanhyde.co.uk/search.php?parent=12&tag=20

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trident

Thanks for the insight everyone. Keep it coming!
I guess I was stuck between the love of the engine & power in my Sprint ST and the riding position of my '72 Trident T150T. I am looking for the best of both worlds. However, the idea of a Norman Hyde big bore kit makes ALOT more sense! I can see my winter project coming together now!! :)
Peace & Chicken Grease,
Rudy

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You are not alone - having just bought a new Thruxton I am mulling over Norman's upgrade. It pulls really well, has better torque than the 790 and is a great ride - but you just want more poke and more torque. I am putting a 19 tooth sprocket on next week. Have already fitted Norman's Thruxton rearsets (fabby dabby) and Ikon shocks (lovely). The new bars are much better too. But a bit more torque - as it says on his site, pulling from low down, yes please.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
That is a total non-starter.

What is a starter, however, is the Norman Hyde big bore kit which raises power on the bonnie by 40% and torque by 50%.

Stormin Norman says...'As our American cousins like to say, there is no substitute for cubes'.

Get the bonnie or Thrux, then squeeze the power out of it.

Anything else is just heading for trouble.

http://normanhyde.co.uk/search.php?parent=12&tag=20
norman out and out lied on that one.He had nothing to do with it.its just a 904 wiesco kit he put his name on that bill at bp and weisco came up with a few years ago.IT wont raise torque50% ether.There are a few bikes with the kit that make above 80hp and thats with very good head work,good cams ,big carbs and very good pipes.Most make HP in the 70s.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
norman out and out lied on that one.He had nothing to do with it.its just a 904 wiesco kit he put his name on that bill at bp and weisco came up with a few years ago.IT wont raise torque50% ether.There are a few bikes with the kit that make above 80hp and thats with very good head work,good cams ,big carbs and very good pipes.Most make HP in the 70s.
+1 to what Mike said.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well I will chime in on this.

If you want a 1000cc triple motor in a Bonnie then you will probably make the most unrideable bike out there. You couldnt use anything on the Bonnie, not even the tank as the 955i motor is FI.

If you want the power of a Sprint and sit up and beg of a Bonnie then go buy an S3.

Just so you know the 865cc motor is plenty to tour with. WHat ever gave you the idea that it wasnt? Its only 90cc smaller then your Sprint.....

I say all this because A) I owned/rode a 2005 Sprint ST 1050 long before my Bonnie. B) My Sprint as juiced up with exhaust and custom mapping and went like crazy. C) I know own a 2007 Bonnie Black with TORS and a BARK system in place and it goes like crazy and is a pleasure to ride. Far less frantic then the Sprint.

The Bonnie will chirp along quite happily and highway speeds plus.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, Rudcluti, welcome to the twin section. As others have mentioned, fitting a 3-potter to these would be a massive job. Far better to bore out a twin engine which will not only keep the stock aesthetics but also means that you'll have all the support you need to do the job or get it done.

I've never used this place before but these seem to be the people to speak to with regards the big-bore kits and the work involved. http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/engine_kits.htm

Of course, being an aircooled twin, it doesn't produce as much power as a l/c, inline-3 or 4 but what it does produce comes in at much lower revs.

Then there are turbos and nitrous kits, both of which have been used succesfully. :D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Ehh??

Who said Norman Hyde developed it - you may or may not be right that the origins of the kit came from elsewhere, personally I am not particularly bothered.

What matters is that another RAT member was looking for some suggestions, and he now has them.

From the reviews I have read it gets a good report so it is a good option to consider. From my dealings with Hyde I have never had anything other than excellent service and advice.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts

Ehh??

Who said Norman Hyde developed it - you may or may not be right that the origins of the kit came from elsewhere, personally I am not particularly bothered.

What matters is that another RAT member was looking for some suggestions, and he now has them.

From the reviews I have read it gets a good report so it is a good option to consider. From my dealings with Hyde I have never had anything other than excellent service and advice.
hyde said so on his web sight and he calls it his puts his name on it,thats not right.besides that the guy is looking for more power then he can get with a 904 he needs a bigger kit.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Hi, Rudcluti, welcome to the twin section. As others have mentioned, fitting a 3-potter to these would be a massive job. Far better to bore out a twin engine which will not only keep the stock aesthetics but also means that you'll have all the support you need to do the job or get it done.

I've never used this place before but these seem to be the people to speak to with regards the big-bore kits and the work involved. http://www.bonnevilleperformance.com/engine_kits.htm

Of course, being an aircooled twin, it doesn't produce as much power as a l/c, inline-3 or 4 but what it does produce comes in at much lower revs.

Then there are turbos and nitrous kits, both of which have been used succesfully. :D
yep heres where you get the real deal bp is the real deal unlike norman

·
Registered
8,877 Posts

Ehh??

GO here read this and you will know why i say this http://forums.delphiforums.com/acecafe/messages?msg=1870.10

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's Play Nice

O.k. Let's remain civil out there, Gang.

I'm getting alot of great feedback from everyone. You've ALL given me something to consider. Thank you.

So far I'm liking the idea of going with the T100 Bonnie and boring out the engine with a few other mods like the 19T sprockets, air eliminator, & performance air cleaner. For Starters.

One last bit. I like the look of the original pipes so I was wondering if you thought it was worth it to spend the $$$ on similar looking performance exhausts? Is the dollar value worth the added power?

Am I missing anything that should be added to my shopping list as far as performance is concerned?

Rudy
PS The S3 has been in the back of my mind for the past 3 years now. I'm such a cycle-****.

·
30,296 Posts
It is generally agreed that even debaffled stock exhausts, and TORs (Triumph off road mufflers) do not flow as well as some of the aftermarket pipes. Apparently the Norman Hyde Togas flow better than TORs.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
If you want the hp you say you do you will need better pipes like d&d 2into 1 ,d&d 2 into 2 tt full race,bp 2 into1 .Pipes on the big motors are everything I went from 76hp to 89hp just by going with the d&d 2into1 .I had preds on before them.I have a 989 stroker kit in mine with big valve flowed head and 42 mm carbs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts