Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay team any one have info on putting 995 liners and pistons in a 1996 Thunderbird whats power increases and what tips and what else do i need to know cheers

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
First off, it can be done but it's not straightforward. You have to ream out the crankcase to fit the bigger liners.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
There used to be an article on here by Jim Bush. He did this to his T-Bird and the power difference great. Also its 955 not 995.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have done the coversion to both my thunderbirds. I am using the original blue cams and about 12: 1 compression ratio. (both bikes have been converted to fuel injection and 6 speed gearbox )

I think it was worth it there is a lot more torque and the bike pulls well through out the rev range. Sorry no dyno figures, but it will give a lot of the newer bikes a good run for their money through twisty corners

As stated above you will need to completely disassemble the engine to get the upper crank case machined out to accept the bigger liners. Dont forget to take the original liners with you so that machinest can work out the tolerences.
After that you will need to rejet the carbs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have done the coversion to both my thunderbirds. I am using the original blue cams and about 12: 1 compression ratio. (both bikes have been converted to fuel injection and 6 speed gearbox )

I think it was worth it there is a lot more torque and the bike pulls well through out the rev range. Sorry no dyno figures, but it will give a lot of the newer bikes a good run for their money through twisty corners

As stated above you will need to completely disassemble the engine to get the upper crank case machined out to accept the bigger liners. Dont forget to take the original liners with you so that machinest can work out the tolerences.
After that you will need to rejet the carbs.
Man, that's some seriuos mods, now you got me tempted! Would be awsome to see a Dyno of that in the future. How hard was it to convert to fuel injection?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The physical side was not difficult, the second bike i made an adapter plate to attach the injector bodies to the head, the (first bike I used rubber stubs, the flanges were ground off the throttle bodies) i used an external fuel pump and regulator mounted under the left side pannel. The ECU MC 1000 mountyed where the original cdi ignition was. Then pliced in an engine harness. A speed tripple EFI triger wheel replaced the original wheel, I was able to use the original pick up.

The hardest part, not having access to a dyno has been modifying a sutable fuel map, I use an LM 2 wideband sensor and log data with that. it has been a long process, requiring multiple road testing and adjusting the mapping.

anyway I think it was worth it all be it sometimes I felt like I was reiventing the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts