Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be a possible owner of a 99 Daytona. I currently have 02 sprint and a 17 S3. I’ve never owned the first gen 955 so don’t know if there’s something to lookout for. I know the 2nd gens real well so looking for some advice.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Well, you won't have to worry about the stator or R/R since that model uses an automotive style alternator. Adds to the charming engine sound. There is a ground block that may need an upgrade if the '99 still uses the ground block connector. It also uses a mechanical speedo. The gauges are all analog, called a Tri Oval. The accuracy of the speedo is not, accurate, but can be converted to a Sprint's electronic if so desired. Not a great deal of aftermarket support still around, but you can adapt to fit. Has the nylon tank like early Sprints. And hopefully the upgraded quick release fuel fittings in metal. Overall, no major complaints. A bit upgraded over my '98 T595. Not as powerful as the '02-'06 955i, but that's only in the upper rev range. More powerful than your Sprint.

·
2,906 Posts
It's like you're my twin! Typical Gen1 955i issues bud. Sprag failure requires splitting the case to fix on a gen1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your killing me smalls. HAP wants the sprint after all the work i did. He has the black RS i sold to Steve the thief. Splitting cases for sprag is a pita. I will have to think about that one. I want a tiger but too much $$ for them. How many bikes you got now?

·
2,906 Posts
Def sell the bike to HAP if you're wanting to sell it. He's good people.

I wouldn't want to do a sprag but just keep the battery charged.

·
2,906 Posts
Heavy man.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Suzuki GS 1150 which is a steam roller. The HAP has a 1200 and the 955. I want comfortable ride since the S3 is for flicking about. What you think.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
$2200 to $2500 if you want to sell. Over 3K and it will sit for quite awhile. IMO. Though the US market will bear this out if you do the research.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
I paid $3.3K for my '98 in 2010 with less than 8K miles. Not sure I would call the 955 Daytona a comfortable ride with the oem clipons, unless you are tall and long armed.

·
2,906 Posts
$2k-ish. Or buy a basket case and put some sweat equity into it

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Asking price was 3 k but I’m just not feeling the deal. I will keep my ST and wait for a Tiger. Prices here in Cali are dirt cheap for the tonas, 15-2k tops. I wish tigers would go down in price. No basket cases for me now. Doing a car restoration which is taking my time.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Asking price was 3 k but I’m just not feeling the deal. I will keep my ST and wait for a Tiger. Prices here in Cali are dirt cheap for the tonas, 15-2k tops. I wish tigers would go down in price. No basket cases for me now. Doing a car restoration which is taking my time.

There's a large adventure (adv)rider site that regularly has used Tigers listed in the 2k to 5k range. Mostly in the East and Mid-West but they are out there.

Easy to buy a Triumph, more difficult to sell them.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Sooo, what are you waiting for? They are all "meticulously maintained" and "excellent shape" and some really are . She looks nice, go see it. Bring cash and haggle.

Remember, as the buyer, you hold the cards. These bikes are hard to sell, just because they're Triumphs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just undecided . I want a Tiger but the sex appeal of the Daytona is hard to ignore. I have a speed so really don’t need a sport bike Per-say. Another forum lurker has a red Daytona that he wants to trade my Sprint ST for. He has one of my previous bikes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts