Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a '99 triumph tiger, I got a great deal on it, 24,500 miles, garage kept it's entire life, NO corrosion, just a scratch on the tank by your right knee that looks like bird poop, LOL. New rear tire and battery and the extended wind shield. No one in south texas likes this bike for some reason, that is why I got such a good deal on it, I have watched my friend for 2 years try to sell this thing, so I jumped when the price was right. I LOVE this bike, no carbs, so it starts easy when cold. It cruises at a reasonable speed, 65mph feels like its perfect speed, I like a bike that doesnt "want" to cruise fast, its hard to explain, Gobs of power, the ergonomics are awesome, much better than my previous bike, an 83 honda VT750C shadow. This is what I have always wanted in a bike!!! I find myself singing "holy diver" by Dio alot now (ride the tiger!!....), well... on to my problem, I fry the battery after about a week of riding, I have gone through about 4 now, I have been told to check the regulator, but dont know too much about triumphs, I work mainly on my jetski, if this is a bad regulator, where would the regulator be located to check it? Thankyou

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Howdy!
We aren't overrun by Tigers in Southern Arizona, either! I think I love mine more than you love yours, just because I've owned it longer.
The first thing you need to do after buying the Tiger, is buy a Haynes Manual. They're always available on eBay, you should find one on the first page of a search on "Triumph Tiger." There's a red Daytona on the cover. I rebuilt mine from a total wreck using that book, it's really quite good. The other item you can't do without is the factory parts manual available on CD from www.fiche-man.com This will save you lots of time getting replacement parts. Remember that Triumph doesn't really identify the bikes by model year, it's the VIN that matters......usually!
While 65 does seem to be a speed that the Tiger likes, it likes to go faster, too. That matters lots in West Texas! Think about changing to a 19 tooth front sprocket, I think you'll like the better cruising and better mileage.
Where is Four Bluff?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You don't really need the parts list as this site has them on line.....

Interestingly (well to me at least), I discovered that mine was the very last bike made with eccentric chain adjusters, which must make it a collector's piece. Offers starting at £10,000 in sealed envelopes please.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Being cheap - rebuilding wrecked bikes - go for the on-line free stuff!
My BMW riding friends, not "good" friends!, describe me as, "an eccentric chain adjuster". If you're asking 10K - my American keyboard only does $ - for the chain adjusters, how much for the whole Tiger? :-D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flour Bluff is actually part of Corpus Christi now, It is on the way to parde island, just a big Gehto. I now live in South Corpus, but work in four bluff. Whith a good tail wind, (40+ knots) I can usually get up to around 135mph on the causeway going out to the island, but then going back, 65 feels like 110!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts