Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Legend is even lower than the thunderbird and I was wondering how triumph lowered the seat height on the legend compared to the stock thunderbird.Is the rear shock and front forks shorter?I would like to increase the seat height as much as possible as I find it to cramped for my 6'3 frame.Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
As far as I remember the Legend has shorter rear suspension link-bones than the Thunderbird-Adventurer, maybe someone who has done this mod can confirm but I believe changing to the longer links will give you more height.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Changing the links will change the seat height, but if you don't change the front height as well you will screw up the handling.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Legend is lowered by suspension, subframe and seat.
If you feel cramped when driving, then changing those dogbones isn't the answer. Actually with T-Bird's seat and the subframe you can have more "room", sitting higher comparing to your footpegs.
Changing dogbones and front fork springs changes only bikes centre of gravity point and you sit higher comparing to the ground level.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had my Legend raised by changing out the longer dog bones for the shorter ones used on the Tbird. It raised the seat more than an inch and it is much more comfortable to sit while stopped. It also raised the bike's underbelly and makes cornering less of a sparks and hard parts affair. It probably doesn't affect the ride position but I feel more planted while stopped. Just a thought.
Flybiker

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
this is how to lower a t-bird , just do it in reverse and make 7" dogbones . it will quicken the steering a bit .

Legend drop links will do the trick. These dog bone looking things on the rear suspension from a legend will lower it 1" & 1/4
Or you can make your own, 1"X1/4" mild steel flat bar. Cut to 8.5"
STock links are 7" centre to centre.
To lower 1 inch holes are drilled 7&1/4" c to c
To lower 1 1/2" 7&3/8" c to c
To lower 2" 7&1/2 c to c
Drop the fork legs through the triple trees a maximum of 5/8"

By the way I forgot to mention the holes in the drop links are 15/32" diameter

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
lower pegs can help

If you are talking about being cramped because of the lack of room between your hips and your feet, try aftermarket pegs which are flatter in profile, and give you a bit more room. I changed to a Triumph King/Queen seat and Kuryakyn pegs, which gave me more room, and eased the tension on my hips. Custom seat adjustment would be even better, but too much height may then make the handlebar position uncomfortable, and possibly affect the handling in a negative way. I'm 5'11", and have a 30" inseam, and I am just comfortable on my Legend. I've always thought this bike would be a perfect fit for someone shorter, as the fit is close, and the seat height allows both feet to be flat on the ground when stopped.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am after both more ground clearance and more leg room.I did not realize the sub-frame was different as well maybe I should have waited till a thunderbird came up.I like the wheels and the blacked out motor.Any one want to lower their Thunderbird?

·
Registered
143 Posts
subframe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__99-TRIUMPH-THUNDERBIRD-triple-Rear-Sub-Frame-Subframe_W0QQitemZ300284668782QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQddiZ2811QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item300284668782&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72:543|65:12|39:1|240:1318

This is only subframe I could find. Needs paint.
If you change also your dogbones to shorter ones, buy also progressive front fork springs. I have no idea how Legends front forks are different comparing T-Birds, but I remember that I read somewhere that Legends front fork springs are shorter than T-Birds.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Could someone measure their subframe between these 2 points as I want to make sure the TBird subframe is different and where.The measurement is center of pictured bolt to the center of the subframe.Have found some Tbird dog bones on ebay so that should be an inch or so back for overall height.Thanks for all the help so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tbird.
Had a look at another thunderbird at peter stevens motorcycles and could not see any difference between that and my legendsub frame .We measured as many points as possible without taking things off and everything is the same.I think they are the same but if someone knows different please let me know.I have fitted a standard Tbird seat which gives a little more room but I want to go to a single TBS style seat soon as possible so will get that built up a bit.Will get the shorter dog bones and I guess that's all I can do with out cutting the sub frame and raising it .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Regular t-bird seat

That made the world of difference to me. My hips don't cramp up anymore and then with just a little more build it's comfortable. I use a sheepie pad on top, and highway pegs just to flex out a little while sometimes.
Besides it looks cool!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Torque settings

Hi can someone post the torque numbers for the drop links bolts from their workshop manual.I have them fitted but was wondering if they are tightened under full load or with the weight off?
Also seemed to be only 1/4 inch difference between the the hole centers of the 2 sets?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Hi can someone post the torque numbers for the drop links bolts from their workshop manual.I have them fitted but was wondering if they are tightened under full load or with the weight off?
Also seemed to be only 1/4 inch difference between the the hole centers of the 2 sets?
My Haynes manual quotes 100 nm for both ends, 1/4 inch difference sounds right - that amounts to about 1" of raising at the axle IIRC.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Haynes manual quotes 100 nm for both ends, 1/4 inch difference sounds right - that amounts to about 1" of raising at the axle IIRC.
Thanks mike.I guess a longer shock is on it's way as I would like another inch or so in ride height.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would recommend going with a longer shock, TBS or Kawi. This will raise seat height and significantly improve ride. You will need to change to longer kick stand also. This of course will not change your riding position. I own a Legend and love it. It is the closest triple you can get to a TBS in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I took all three approaches. I put in a ZX1100D shock, which raised the bike approximately 1/2". I mounted a Corbin Gunfighter, which raised the seat height some (maybe 3/4"?). And put on some custom Tarozzi rearsets, which moved the foot position back about where the TBS set is, but dropped the foot position about 1".

Makes for a pretty comfortable ride for me, 70", 32" inseam.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts