Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99' Legend to café racer

Looking for some help. I have a 99’ legend that I just inherited from my father and I would like to make it my own. I really like the café racer look and need a little guidance. I will probably start with the handle bars and maybe a rear fender eliminator. I am still a little confused on what to look for in terms of types/size handle bars and other parts as I have not had much luck finding parts specifically for the 99’ legend. Does anyone have any suggestions or advise on this??

·
Super Moderator
13,591 Posts
A lot has to do with what you like in the way of ergonomics.

The little Emgo quarter fairings look much better on the Legend & T-Bird than they do on the Bonnies.

You might try looking for a decent set of T-Bird front forks with dual discs, that's a nice upgrade. They make seat cowls for the legend that are a nice touch if you like that styling cue.

T-bird footpegs & foot controls are also sportier in the positioning, but again ergonomics is a factor.

Airbox mods and re-jetting the carbs is a good step, as is the Procomm igniter with increased RPM limit. Also, "cleaning out" the mufflers to straight-through with minimum glass packing is a very nice mod for sound.

Speed Triple cams are HOT!

Good tires and brake pads may be the best value for your money of any mod you can make. I am NOT going to get into a tire war!

·
Registered
844 Posts
2nd on good tires -- plenty to choose from out there. Same size as the TBS (ok, TBS rear calls for a slightly taller tire -- a non-issue). This bike is an odd collection of TBS and Thunderbird specs. It was intended as a slightly cheaper, lower ride height entry model.

You can put the TBS (rear suspension) 'dog bone' lilnks on it and raise the rear. Slightly quicker handling. Easy to do, and a good opportunity to take apart and re-grease the rear suspension. Threads here on installing certain Kawi rear shocks (taller and better handling).

Other things: new handle bars are easy (7/8"), as are mirrors, turn signals, aftermarket mufflers, etc. Take your levers with you to the local bike accessory shop and compare it to Kawi application adjustable levers until you find matches (the brakes are Japanese). It will be less than $25 each, compared to much more for CRGs (admittedly very nice units).

National Cycle also makes some nice looking little windscreens.

Triumph's have a bit of HD desing in them: make most of the parts interchangeable between models, buy a lot of Japanese made parts (electrical, carb, suspension, brakes). It is a proven arrangement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts