Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. I have a 99’ legend that I just inherited from my father and I would like to make it my own. I really like the café racer look and need a little guidance. I will probably start with the handle bars and maybe a rear fender eliminator. I am still a little confused on what to look for in terms of types/size handle bars and other parts as I have not had much luck finding parts specifically for the 99’ legend. Does anyone have any suggestions or advise on this??

·
Registered
444 Posts
Take a look at some of the bikes in this months "Bike of the Month" competition. There are a few Legend cafe racers with brands listed for the bars used. The adjustable Clubmans look pretty good.

As far as the fender eliminator, I must cut my fender and made a bracket for the lights.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check the Hinckley Classic Triples section. There's gobs of information there from people who have been there and done it. My '01 Thunderbird started out as a cruiser but I wanted to go "cafe" with it. I went for a set of Bikemaster "euro" bars but later switched to a set from an '06 Speed triple and some "Triumph" branded bar end mirrors also made for the ST. Lately, I have been looking for a set of adjustable Laverda Jota bars just for the hell of it. I also started out with a OEM Roadster screen, went to a Thruxton flyscreen (had to slightly modify it to make it fit around the turn signal stalks) and ended up with an OEM Tbird flyscreen that I picked up cheap on ebay. Adventurer tank knee pads, an OEM aluminum grab rail, a modded Corbin Gunfighter solo seat, and some Leatherworks saddlebags (all from ebay) completed my version of a "cafe'd" look. Take it one piece at a time and be patient...my "process" took almost 2 years to find everything I wanted to change (so far.) Ebay and the classifieds (landed a center stand from another member there) on this site paid off handsomely in my case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a Legend and really wanted to go in the cafe direction also. I put on some clubmans handlebars and it was extremely uncomfortable. I was literally reaching over the tank.

I am so glad that you asked the question as I will continue to look for ways to go the mild cafe direction. Has anyone tried drag handlebars on a Legend?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Did you try some risers underneath the clubmans?

Stop into the Classic Triples Section for more ideas!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it matter where you purchase handlebars from? With just a quick search of the internet i have found a variety of what appear to be the same bars anywhere from $25 (Amazon.com) to $250?? What is the main difference? Any good internet dealers I should check out for. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
7/8" handlebars will all work.

I picked up a set of Euro bars for $20.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Does anyone know if the rearsets for a Bonneville would easily adapt to a Legend? I do not have the ability to do any major adjustments such as welding. Has anyone ever put rearsets on a legend before?

http://www.british-customs.com/lsl-triumph-bonneville-race-rearsets.html
ohhenrymu,

Totally different mounting setup between the Twin's and the T-bird/TBS/Legend. You would need to fabricate mounting plates at least, if it is possible. Hopefully someone else will chime in and answer that question fully. Going the other route, I have a '99 T-Bird, made into a cafe, and this is what I have found. Maybe this will be helpful you.

1) T-Bird/TBS/Legend - All use the same frame mount holes for the foot pegs.
2) T-Bird's are the farthest forward. I think (correct me if I am wrong here), the Legend uses the same foot pegs as the T-Bird. (if not, and I got that wrong, the Legend uses the same as the TBS?)
3) TBS has 'factory' rear sets that move the location back and a bit up from the T-Bird's location.

Just an FYI - For the same price that BC is charging for those Bonnie rear sets you can buy LSL rear sets for the TBS. They will bolt up to your Legend. I have a How-To and pics somewhere around here or on my computer a home I can send you, if needed.

Here is a pic of the right side LSL rear set on my T-Bird.

I don't have one with the left side up close, but here is one with the rear sets on, before I put my exhaust on the bike (pardon the look, I'm still working on it).

I've since replaced the mounting hex-head bolts as they were a bit dorked up with age. Raask's makes a set our bikes as well, about the same price. I started with Tarrozi's and before I could finish the mount plates, we used them on my son's CB550 instead, so I decided to go with the LSL's and save me some time and headaches. I actually like the Tarrozi's better, but going that route, it's all on you to make the mounts, and get the parts together for the linkage. Do-able, just some work involved to get it done.

The LSL kit, since it is made for the TBS, expects you to have a few pieces that are not in their kit. Namely, the stock shift arm and heim-joint from the TBS. I've got the part numbers for those (you can buy them straight from Triumph as a set). You will also need 1 left-hand threaded M6 nut from the TBS shift linkage as well, again, you can get it from Triumph.

Finally the mount bolts for the TBS are a tad longer then the T-Bird's or Legend's, so I replaced those on mine as well. As you can see from the photo, the stock ones will work, I just felt they did not offer all the purchase that I wanted.

One last thing and I would be amiss if I didn't warn you. You may want to search the threads for anyone else going to rear sets to firm up your options and reduce any pitfalls. You may run into issues with the brake arm hitting the exhaust on the right side. Not everyone does, and with the different exhaust combo's out there, it's hit or miss. Mine did at first, but the shop who is going to be welding my exhaust up (I'm going with a 955i header and Lossa muffler) seems to think he worked it out. I'm waiting on that right now, so no picks of the finished results as of yet.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Looked closer at the link you sent on the BC rear sets. Those are also made by LSL as well.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
This thread was dead for 3 years. I think the guy probably figured it out by now.

Maybe post this info in the Classic Triples section for the current users.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
This thread was dead for 3 years. I think the guy probably figured it out by now.

Maybe post this info in the Classic Triples section for the current users.
Wow, do I feel like a dumb a#!, j. :) Didn't even look for the date on the thread. Strange, I remember I was looking at the new postings and somehow ended up on this thread. Oh, well. I'm sure he figured it out. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to check this out. Doubt mine will be finished and running by then, but maybe.... Appreciate the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts