Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 99 daytona 955i I noticed it has random branded relays and I have a very bad battery drain when I leave my high beams on with ignition off I still have power on the bulbs 4v to be exact. I did some reading online that says something about 4 pin and 5 pin relays having the pin 30 and 85/86 flipped causing issues. I have a Haynes manuel but found nothing on relays or the order they go in. Anyone know what uses the 4 and what uses 5 pin. It's been a pain . I also have no start when hot issue I'm hoping one of the relays is bad to fix this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I seen that someone pointed out the 4 or 5 pin relays being type A or B very confusing

·
Super Moderator
21,184 Posts
It's not a question of 4 or 5 pin for the hi and low relays - the 5 pin is required for the starter-headlight-cut relay position - it is type 'B'
The two headlight relays would be 4 pin - and on your 99 they would be type 'A' (these are the ONLY positions which are type A)
If 'typical' after-market (type B) relays are used in either of those positions, then indeed they would drain the battery even though the ignition is off and the lights themselves appear to be off - otherwise they will 'appear' to function normally. This is because the coil is supposed to be fed by ignition power, while the common pole is fed from battery power; when you put the wrong relay in, constant power feeds the relay coil, however the light will be off until you turn on ignition - so it seems normal except for fact that headlight relay remain energized when you turn off ignition, but lights are off because now ignition power is supplying the common pole.

Simple test - leave ignition off and pull the relay - if wrong type you should hear it click off as you remove it & click back on when you replace it again.

These happen to be 5 pin - the convention for 4 pin is identical other than omission of the centre 87a terminal. Note that the 30 & 86 terminals are transposed between the two types.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out to buy three new type A relays and plugged them in. my fuse kept blowing soon as I plugged in a relay. For the headlights. I noticed the signal fuse and rh light fuse are bridged by a wire and that I have headlight juice when all 3 relays are off completely I cut the wire and plugged in relays and it works but no high beam . Haven't had luck finding a diagram that shows what pin goes where I think the plug might have the pins reconfigured as far as the fuel pump and ecu. Fan relay they are 5 pin type B relays. That should be good right

·
Super Moderator
21,184 Posts
I went out to buy three new type A relays and plugged them in .... I cut the wire and plugged in relays and it works but no high beam .
the 5 pin is required for the starter-headlight-cut relay position - it is type 'B'
The two headlight relays would be 4 pin - and on your 99 they would be type 'A' (these are the ONLY positions which are type A)
^This ..............

As per my original reply the headlight-cut relay MUST be type B and MUST be 5 pin - if you have a 4-pin relay of any description in that socket then the headlights will be off no matter what else you do

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And you said must b type B unless it's the 99 daytona which uses type A correct or did I get it all wrong

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
He said the Headlight Cutoff relay is a 5 Pin, Type B. The other two headlight relays are 4 Pin, Type A. Only these two are Type A for your bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help guys seems the relays click when they should now to test of the battery will drain. Now I just don't have high beams. LEDs are brand new fuses are too. Smh =/ hahah

·
Super Moderator
21,184 Posts
... seems the relays click when they should now to test of the battery will drain.
They should NOT be clicking as you insert/pull when the ignition is OFF - but SHOULD click if you have the ignition ON (is that what you meant?)

Now I just don't have high beams.
If NEITHER lamp works on High, then nothing to do with relays (if it was a relay, then one light would work, the other not)
And the supply pre hi/lo switch is common for both high & low, so not a fuse issue
You haven't mentioned anything about LEDs before - are you sure these are wired appropriately?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yes sorry I ment that they click when ign is on all seems well , and I dont have high beam only low beam RH side standin on bike only , when I switch to high beam nothing happens. When it had the other relays it was working. It was just draining my battery lol. And I do believe the LEDS are wired correctly since they worked perfect before.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up with 5 relays off a bmw and swapped them all out with the 4 pin relays. Cut off is 5 pin Type B. And the other 2 are the bmw 5 pin Type A relays. And im only talking about swapping the 3 for headlights the other relays seem fine and got them labeled. ECM fan and fuel pump + turn signals.

·
Super Moderator
21,184 Posts
Now I just don't have high beams.
and I dont have high beam only low beam RH side standin on bike only ,
(and picture appears to confirm only ONE side is out?)

So initially you said High beamS not working - now it appears only ONE of the two is NOT working on High - is that correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To my knowledge I thought right side was low beam and high beam was both on. Noticed when I switch the high beam the right side lights up further. When in low beam both lights are suppose to be on ? Like a car. ? So yes left side does not light up at all. Right side lights up to high beam.

·
Super Moderator
21,184 Posts
Both lamps are high/low

With both relays in place, then both lights will come on in low and both lamps will come on in high

Without the relays installed, you will have only one of each (one will operate on low beam, the other on high beam)

One lamp element is powered directly from the switch, the other is via a relay - If high only works one of the lamps, there is still a problem with the relay circuit (relay itself or wiring) for the high beam (or the lamp itself)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks alot for your input. I have finally solved the battery drain with the relays info and the high not turning on. It was the fuse from LH side I was actually wiggling it out and I noticed the LH side turned on so it was some corrosion in the fuse socket itself. Thanks so much !! Only last problem i got now is it not starting hot. Going to buy a feeler gauge and see if the crank position sensor is out of range. 0.8mm correct ? Anyone. =D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts