Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Robcampbelljr - sorry to say still haven't found the real answer to my dilemma. Have found out several different things over the last few days but no real solutions. I think I am chasing an intermittant short. Right now I have the cooling fan relay out of the bike because one of the female spade connectors for this relay is quite loose. With the key OFF sometimes wiggling this connector with a circuit probe causes the #7 (ecu) relay to come in. Strange but true.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Still trouble shooting

tried you coolant sensor replacement . thta did not work same problem so going to unrap harness check every single wire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
955i STILL STRUGGLING WITH COOLANT TEMP ISSUE

Robcampbelljr - sorry you went that route. Iwas convinced but now I believe I have an intermittent short in the relay harness. See my previous note a couple days ago. Is your bike running at all? Everytime I get the temp gauge back to normal setting mine runs fine.:eek::eek::brick:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
955i Won't start

Rob, Just got your reply. The case with mine, I now believe, is in the receptacle for the cooling fan relay #5. I have taken the relay out of the system and now the bike starts and runs everytime. The check engine light is on all the time but all other functions are normal. The bike will not start as long as the temp gauge is showing an extreme high temp. I believe this to be some kind of built in safety. Next time you get the gauge down to normal startup position pull the #5 relay and see if she runs. It should. In our cases it may well be an intermittent short somewhere in the harness. I believe mine is in the relay recepatacle. Good luck and keep me posted.

Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

Alan,
I have had the same problem as yourself and have traced it to the earth block which had 2no blackened terminals once cleaned up the bike is back to normal:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
whereis earth block located?

where is earth block located?

I have had the same problem as yourself and have traced it to the earth block which had 2no blackened terminals once cleaned up the bike is back to normal:)[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Earth block

I found the block between the battery holder and the rear of the tank which i had removed it is about 30mm wide and normally covered in a grey foam my block/plug is Blue in colour but i have read elseware that early ones are White
Hope this helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Done Deal

Took bike to dealer harness toast new main and engine harness 1500.00 installed??? So its going to collect dust till i find a main and engine harness used somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
A problem in the wiring harness doesn't warrant a complete replacement. I'm chasing an intermittant problem on my '98 (would be repaired alot quicker if it'd stay broke) that's in the wiring harness. PIA to be sure, but it'll be repaired...

Brad

·
Registered
23 Posts
installed A 2000 harness??

Hey Fellas
I just installed a 2000 harness on my 99 tona ecu and all. Can anybody telll me relays i need and where they go since the used 2000 harness came with no relays??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts