Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what most are goin to say.... But why
Unfourtnatly aging process and the fact these engines are rarer now than ever ( I just can't locate a 1999 955i daytona engine at reasonable cost)

Basically I'm understanding the difference in these engines being the daytona had different pistons and liners and cams ( possibly gearbox too not sure) for the extra bhp
But the speedy sprint an tigers all had the same lumps right???

Seeing as mine is streetfightered now anyway with speedy parts,
Can I not fit a speedy engine of the same year and upload 10154Map_2E68.hex with tune ecu and it basically run as a speedy till I can rebuild my daytona lump without pressure

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think you’re right. Also the main bearing clearances are different. If the whole engine is being swapped then you don’t need to worry about internal differences, just whether all the sensors, plugs and ecu is the same which I believe they are. But that’s just from looking at the manual not real life.

·
Super Moderator
21,982 Posts
Yes, but a 99 (with a Single Row Sagem MC2000 ECU) would use map 9897 - 10154 is for an 02+ gen Speed Triple
Tiger Engines are quite different, so don't consider that - Sprint & S3 engines are ostensibly same (other than maybe colour) - 99 -01 would be applicable for both

But you shouldn't restrict yourself to 99 - any 97-01 Daytona engine will work and you shouldn't even have to update your 99 map

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you’re right. Also the main bearing clearances are different. If the whole engine is being swapped then you don’t need to worry about internal differences, just whether all the sensors, plugs and ecu is the same which I believe they are. But that’s just from looking at the manual not real life.
From what I've researched the only prt numbers that are different from schematics lists state only cams an pistons them selves and obvs the odd sensor
And the hardest part or the change is gonna be the front sprocket nut lol..... Cheers
Yes, but a 99 (with a Single Row Sagem MC2000 ECU) would use map 9897 - 10154 is for an 02+ gen Speed Triple
Tiger Engines are quite different, so don't consider that - Sprint & S3 engines are ostensibly same (other than maybe colour) - 99 -01 would be applicable for both

But you shouldn't restrict yourself to 99 - any 97-01 Daytona engine will work and you shouldn't even have to update your 99 map
So is the speedy map not recommended for a sprint engine then?

I'm 99% the ecu is a 1000 an currently loaded with 10071holomogated. It's not perfect but it was an improvement at the time

I'm stating as a 99, so people know it's not the 149bhp version or the 595, although I've always found the parts I need via a t595 search lol

·
Super Moderator
21,982 Posts
So is the speedy map not recommended for a sprint engine then?
I don't believe I said that
Indeed if you use a Sprint engine you HAVE to use the S3 map, because the instruments are different

So - for S3/Sprint Engine, use the 10075 map (or exhaust variant of same gen)

And same as I stated still applies for Daytona Engine but again keep your current Daytona Map (and Fuel Rail/Injectors)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Triumph lady on the phone said its a 99 reg 2000 when I rang up for a part...i said it was a 2000. I knew I was right 😁
Cheers
Sorry.. I had to Google ostensibly haha.
So is it just internally they may be ever so slightly different with say a ratio, a shaft or seal or something. Im assuming As long as my ancillaries bolt to the bare block (which is what I'd be happiest with knowing they already work) , and my ecu takes the 10075 map I should be OK??

I must admit I was panicking for a while thinking I was going to see the release of lockdown without having a bike. Nooooooo
I always assumed the 955i was the same lump apart from the change in 02..... I'm starting to think all the spare tona lumps have been snook into speedy an sprints and tiger seeing as that's all the engines that are left are for those 3 lol

·
Super Moderator
21,982 Posts
Again, the S3 and Sprint engines are identical other than possible cases/covers colours
(e.g. the Sprint RS has Grey covers)
All the ancillaries are the same and fit all models (incl Daytona) in that gen - Alternator, TB's, starter, water pump etc
The Tiger Engines are quite different in terms of config (heads) however and possibly transmission.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, the S3 and Sprint engines are identical other than possible cases/covers colours
(e.g. the Sprint RS has Grey covers)
All the ancillaries are the same and fit all models (incl Daytona) in that gen - Alternator, TB's, starter, water pump etc
The Tiger Engines are quite different in terms of config (heads) however and possibly transmission.
Thank you. You've set me down the right path guys thank you!!!!!
I'll let you know how it goes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts