Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I have a 98 thunderbird sport triple. I bought it not running. Previous owner said it had a overheating problem and thought its head gasket. But I talked to others and they said these aren't known for head gaskets. So looking for helpful tips to get it running again. I am currently cleaning the carbs. Tried turning it over and it just spilled gas out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hey Jayceey, welcome to the forum! Explore around on here a bit - there's numerous threads covering all the idiosyncrasies of these triples. Fuel pouring out sounds very like your carb floats are stuck open. Quite common if they have been sitting for a while. It will help us to help you if you'll specify if you have the Keihin or Mikuni carbs.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
TBS

Should have Keihin carbs (factory fitted). To negate a blown head gasket, take a sample of the coolant too a radiator shop, they should be able to test for carbons in the coolant due to a blown head gasket. This is a wise test to undertake if you do not know the history of the machine and it has issues with overheating. Head gaskets normally let go on these engines if a head stud breaks (due to corrosion and lack of maintainence of the cooling system).
If the test comes back as okay, then pull the thermostat and check (description on how to undertake this is in the workshop manual). Drain the coolant, flush the radiator and pipework with a garden hose and measure back in the correct amount of coolant (50/50 antifreeze, distilled water) having completely undone the bleed bolt (next to the filler). Rock the bike sideways to 'burp' the system of any trapped air bubbles. This should go along way in preventing future overheating.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
VDO Temp Gauge.

No, Lovecuba mentioned a VDO gauge and sensor. Just trying to figure out what VDO parts he is talking about.
Without removing the sensor (which of course is behind the outlet pipe) on one crenellation can be see stamped DB (or DR) and on the adjacent crenellation the figures 002 are stamped. The actual gauge has no markings and I presume it is a standard automotive fitting with readings of 40-120 deg C. The gauge is illuminated.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
A Tad More.

Temperature Sender 250°F/120°C DUAL FG 1/4-18NPTF
Add to Wishlist
Add to Compare
325 002

250°F/120°C DUAL FG 1/4-18NPTF

VDO Gauge=18-310010014

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts