Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Ive owned two speed triples (95/98) and was always impressed with early Hinkley quality. I've come across a very good looking T bird sport for $1800, which to me seems like a fair price given the high mileage of 77,000. I've never bought a used bike with more then 12,000 miles on it before though. Question is with that high of mileage am I asking for a serious of problems or are the engines and transmissions typically good to go if the bike hasn't been abused?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
My opinion is that an older bike with a lot of miles is probably better than one with low miles. Tires, plastics and seals on any bike degrade over time but if the owner actually rides the bike regularly there's a better chance that those items have been replaced over time. Seems like a fair price if the bike is mechanically sound.:dunno

(That said, if it's the one in Costa Mesa the ad on Cycle Trader is not very compelling.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have almost 70,000 miles on my Thunderbird and the engine, clutch, and drivetrain feel as solid as on day 1. The last time I did a valve check at 60,000 miles the cam lobes still looked almost brand new. That being said, it is my daily rider and I am very neurotic about maintaining it.

I have to agree with Pudge that an older bike with higher mileage is probably a better bet than a low mileage bike.

Noel

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I’m getting ready to look at a ‘98 TBS myself. It appears very well maintained and only 22K mikes. I know anything can happen but good to hear that owners are getting good miles out of these older triples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts