Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the oil pressure relief valve on my '98 Thunderbird due to warning light coming on at idle when warm. In fact, I changed it twice due to what seems to be high oil pressure, thinking I received a faulty relief valve. As far as I could tell the second relief valve seemed to work fine when checked by hand before installation (as did the first one when checked at removal). At 4000 rpm the oil pressure shows 90 psi, with about 25 psi at idle (1000 rpm). I don't know what the oil pressure was running before the fix as I did not have a gauge to check it with until now. Other than that the bike seems to run fine.

According to my Haynes manual the oil pressure should be 40 psi at 4000 rpm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does it show at 5000 RPM? 6000? 90 psi is a bit excessive at 4000 RPM but just about right at 9000.
It quickly rises to 85-90 psi at 4000 rpm and then only increases slightly as rpm increases above that.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Did replacing the relief valve fix the original problem?

Since the pressure seems to stabilize around 90 psi I'd say it's OK. Is the spec for 40 psi or not less than 40 psi? (90 is not less than 40...) The bypass valve is only trying to limit the maximum pressure and appears to be doing just that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did replacing the relief valve fix the original problem?

Yes it did.

Since the pressure seems to stabilize around 90 psi I'd say it's OK. Is the spec for 40 psi or not less than 40 psi? (90 is not less than 40...) The bypass valve is only trying to limit the maximum pressure and appears to be doing just that.
Good to hear. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts