Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 T-Bird Sport - my first Triumph and I love it. Plenty of power, great looks, comfortable - even the wife and kids think it's the coolest bike ever.

BUT - I find it terminally embarrassing when I have to spend half a minute fiddling with the heel of my boot to get the side stand down.

What the heck is up with that truncated little bar sitting just in front of and well below the foot peg? (see picture) Was it Triumph adding a zit to temper an otherwise perfect machine?

Or did some previous owner swap in a non-stock kickstand?

Any other TBS owners dealing with this? I've searched the forums fore and aft with no joy.

Ben

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Ok - I thought it looked a little odd in the pic so I went to have a look at mine. But in comparison yours is original and looks exactly the same as mine.

However, I dont have any issues finding or deploying my sidestand.

Show us a pic from the side - I wonder if your deployment lug is bent. Looks like it could be in the pic. Other possibility is that wear on the sidestand pivot or a loose bolt is allowing the stand to retract towards the pedal / bike too far - is there slop at that joint (bike is prone to it especially if you dont lube it)

Changing the geometry here just a bit can make a world of difference to how easy the stand is to get at and use

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Yes, it was the lug that looked wrong to me. From the picture the angle of the deployment lug looks too 'upright' and, to my eye, thicker when compared to those in photos on the site (including that of yours, Mick). But the possibility of it being bent didn't occur to me :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Side Stand

98 T-Bird Sport - my first Triumph and I love it. Plenty of power, great looks, comfortable - even the wife and kids think it's the coolest bike ever.

BUT - I find it terminally embarrassing when I have to spend half a minute fiddling with the heel of my boot to get the side stand down.

What the heck is up with that truncated little bar sitting just in front of and well below the foot peg? (see picture) Was it Triumph adding a zit to temper an otherwise perfect machine?

Or did some previous owner swap in a non-stock kickstand?

Any other TBS owners dealing with this? I've searched the forums fore and aft with no joy.

Ben
Hi Ben

I fixed this problem by adding some thick walled rubber tube about 2" long with a 1/4" inside bore. Just soak it in hot water then push it on the side stand peg, I have attached a couple of photos

Cheers Bruno

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts