Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to innundate the list with yet another (possibly stupid) question! The '98 TBS that we just picked up still has the original shift lever linkage set up. A kind of convoluted, Z shape that connects the lever to the shaft (?). My T509, also a '98, had the exact same set up originally & while that bike was in & out of the shop so much in the early days the Triumph mechanic was able to modify the set up & eliminate the convoluted linkage. I was wondering if...well if anyone knows what I'm talking about and if it's possible to do this to the TBS?

I can post pics if necessary but I'm hoping that this is a common modification & somebody will know exactly what I'm asking :).

Thanks in advance, as always.

Nina

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
In theory you could remove the linkage and put a selector straight on the input shaft like you have on your T509 - never seen anybody do it on a TBS though - I fear the peg and the shaft may be a little too close together to make it work. I'm assuming you want to reduce the slack in the linkage? Another way to do that is to replace the stock joints (which are very sloppy) with higher grade ones - I did this and it made a world of difference - tightened her right up...

I got mine from mcmaster IIRC

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
In theory you could remove the linkage and put a selector straight on the input shaft like you have on your T509 - never seen anybody do it on a TBS though - I fear the peg and the shaft may be a little too close together to make it work. I'm assuming you want to reduce the slack in the linkage? Another way to do that is to replace the stock joints (which are very sloppy) with higher grade ones - I did this and it made a world of difference - tightened her right up...

I got mine from mcmaster IIRC
Won't that reverse the sequence tho' ? I thought the selector drum was opposite sense on TBSs ?

(Easy to see just by looking at which way the selector shaft goes...)

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Won't that reverse the sequence tho'
not if the pedal points backwards like it would with her T509 - it would if she just put say a Tbird shifter onto the output shaft of the TBS lump, facing forwards like it does on a TBird / Legend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mick,

That's exactly right, to reduce the slack in the linkage. It made a world of difference in my T509 and was a pretty straightforward swap. When I get my head further into "working on the bike" mode I'll ask you to explain (or point me towards) just what you did. Right now I'm afraid that all I'd get out if it is "blah blah blah" :).

A friend visited this weekend with his lovely Cafed '98 TBS. This bike has numerous upgrades & improvements done by the previous owner & it still has the stock linkage set up that my T509 did. Maybe sloppiness and false neutrals aren't the issue on the TBS that they were on the T509s? It was fun to be able to do a side by side comparison of the 2 TBSs and see what the differences were. You know, things like why we're going to need to re-jet the carbs (hesitation) & replace the stock horn (anemic wasp).

Our buddy has also loaned us his Haynes & shop manual covering the '98 carbouretted models (as my T509 is fuel injected we didn't have the right books on hand). This is getting interesting.

Thanks for your help!

Nina

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
It was fun to be able to do a side by side comparison of the 2 TBSs and see what the differences were.
More of that available next month at the rally ;)

Maybe sloppiness and false neutrals aren't the issue on the TBS that they were on the T509s? Nina
Haven't really noticed much diff in that between my 955 and the 885. You will stand the risk of the dreaded shifter shaft shear-off should the bike ever fall over, however. Lots of experience with that on here with the standard T-Birds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't really noticed much diff in that between my 955 and the 885. You will stand the risk of the dreaded shifter shaft shear-off should the bike ever fall over, however. Lots of experience with that on here with the standard T-Birds.
Ick. I experienced something similar with my T509 in the middle of Nova Scotia. It's amazing what you can repair with the help of desperation & a devious mind.

Hopefully we will have solved the shifter shaft shear off issue once we attach that aftermarket sidecar. If the bike manages to fall over then we'll have bigger problems :).

Nina

1 - 7 of 7 Posts