Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be stupid question, I tries to remove the mufflers yesterday and they would not come off. I am going to install some emgo mufflers. I did not remove the bracket that holds the mufflers together because of have read that if you remove the mounting screw the nut ohn the inside falls off. Is there a trick to taking these things off. Thanks

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Did you remove the covers and loosen the clamps that hold the mufflers to the pipes to the headers?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mufflers

I removed the chrome covers and unbolted the clamp. I noticed that there seems to be a type of sealant used? I think I might have to remove the mufflers separately so that I can twist them off. I just have to hope that the nuts on the inside of the mufflers stay put.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Do not

repeat

Do not undo those bolts that hold the muffler to its mounting bracket. They will not help you here and you are almost guaranteed to have one of them break loose mid removal with the result that you will have a bolt stuck half way out and flopping around

Do remove the clamps, unbolt the rear hanger bracket from the subframe / remove the rear pegs. Now use a rubber hammer around the join t to the headers and even on the muffler hanging bracket to persuade it to start to move. Persevere and you will get the two to separate. It may help to get the pipes warm by running the bike for a little while before you start. Alternatively you may want to try removing the mufflers complete with the headers as a unit then dismantling once off the bike.

The 98/99 TBS pipes are the hardest to get apart IMO but you will get there

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Do not

repeat

Do not undo those bolts that hold the muffler to its mounting bracket. They will not help you here and you are almost guaranteed to have one of them break loose mid removal with the result that you will have a bolt stuck half way out and flopping around
I agree 100% - it happened to me too. The bracket is a good handle to help remove the muffler - another reason not to remove it.

The mufflers are a lot easier to remove if you open the rectangular slots a bit by twisting a flat screwdriver inside them. This slightly increases the diameter of the muffler's slip-on flange.

Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mufflers

Thanks for the help guys, I will try what you suggested and not remove the bracket. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts