Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
im getting my bike ready for the season.late last season I started to get a popping sound at idle and steady throttle.having dealt with the issue before,I kind of knew it was my vacuum hoses.sure enough they(all three) were cracked and dry rotted.So ordered a new set of hoses from b.b. of which only 2 came as one is backordered.I tried installing the new hoses today but had a real hard time getting them to sit on either ends of the throttle body or the iac valve.what would be the best way to install the hoses without cursing and probably breaking the iac valve nipples.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don’t know what the problem because normally the new ones are flexible enough to stay I place, maybe change the routing?
A lot of people use 6mm silicone tubing which I believe is more flexible so easier to stay on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,thanks for the reply.its that I have to fight just to get it on a quarter of the way on the iac nipple.Someone from another site recommended putting the hose end in warm water to soften it up.then dry it and it should go on easily.going to try it and see what happens.again thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe that’s why people use the silicone tubing. I’d try warming it in situ with a hair drier or heat gun as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the help.I do appreciate your response.I might try the heat gun.hopefully it works.I dont want to put it all back together with the hoses not fully installed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used 6mm silicon tube to replace the rubber sleeves on the end of the plastic pipes. Inexpensive and easy to fit.

I bought red just because my bike is red and, well, why not? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,I like those!! They look like they would do the trick.I wish I would have seen those before I purchased mine.
Update to my hose being hard to fit on nipples.I put in warm water with the ends plugged for about 30 secs softened up nice and was able to slide them right on.just glad they are on.but athanks to all who replied and offered suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Glad you got them sorted.

FWIW, it was quite a stretch to get the silicon tube on the plastic pipes this way, more than on the IACV and cylinder vac stubs. Just needed patience and I used that screwdriver in the plastic pipes to help keep them straight while I worked the tubes on. It would have been easier to completely replace the plastic pipes with silicon tube but I just decided I wanted to do it this way, wondering if the soft silicon tubes might pinch after installation. Who knows. It all works well so am happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A bit late; but- if you spray the ends that you want to slide over the spigots with isopropyl alcohol, it makes the hose very very stretchy and it will go on incredibly easy.
Then shrink back to a very firm fit.
I did this with my 6mm silicon tubing and I also fitted spring clips to both ends to make really sure that none would work their way off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts