Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I did do a search and couldn't find any answers so hopefully someone here might be able to help...

I am currently looking at picking up a '98 T-Bird Sport. Price is fair, and the pics of the bike look decent. This would be a distance tourer as the '08 Bonneville is not really set-up for distance anymore (race carbs drastically reduced fuel range) so I am wondering how big is the tank on the 'Bird and how far, under normal situations / riding can the bike go? How far 'til reserve, and how many kms (mi) does the reserve get ya?

Thanks for the time. Any insight to this bike -what to look for, what to watch out for, etc- would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Because I changed out the fuel valve to a Pingel, when I hit reserve has changed from what the OEM fuel valve was. With the Pingel valve I hit reserve at 150 miles.

I log my fill ups using Fuel Log. I currently have two fill ups logged in fuel buddy. The first shows that I'm getting 43.66 mpg and the second shows 43.60 mpg. Keep in mind that I'm running big jets....42 pilots and 160 mains. I've also got Speed Triple cams...not sure how that affects mileage

I've read of some guys getting closer to 50mpg running 19T/40T sprockets...I'm running 17/43 and next week will be running an 18/43....riding to New Ulm for the rally :)

Also, my mileage is combined city/highway....with 70% being in the city and I'm a pretty aggressive rider.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
It takes a little over 17 litres, something like 17.25

I regularly get better than 200 miles on a tank, the best is about 210. Mine is a regular Tbird, not a TBS.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I get about 56mpg (46 US) & look to fill up around 150miles, mostly not on reserve at that mileage. I'd be sure my tank holds at least 16 litres, quite possibly more.

I have some mild jetting & airbox mods & I'm not a slow rider. Before I fitted the fairing, higher speed cruising (80+) would drop mileage toward low 40s. Now, it will still do 55 ish at those speeds.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I used to average about 50mph when I ran a stock setup.

The FCR-39s didn't really change much. The real fuel consumption started when I added the hotter cams and started riding a lot harder. Now I'm down to 42 mpg.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tbird fuel economy, Hermy's Demo Day

I went out to Hermy's yesterday for the Triumph & BMW demo day. I only got about
39 mpg. My bike is jetted, has open pipes, and I was going pretty fast over hills.
I have gotten around 43 when I dont gas it so much. Going 80 mph on hilly terrain
cuts fuel economy down.

FWI, the new Tbird is a great machine, I really like the america also.
My Hats off to Herm, it was a really nice day, the food was great also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How do you guys get 50mpg best I ever did was 43mpg
175 miles to E
35 t0 40 average.
I would love to get 45 to 50
Tell me your secrets
And no I will not drive slower. I did put on a fly screen on and that did help. +2

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Gearing maybe helps a bit, I'm running 18t front (stock is 17t) but not sure if that mod comes under the category of 'riding slower' :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
I average 40mpg with a 18/43 setup. I got a steady 48 mpg in an experiment a while back but you have to keep the revs at 4k -no higher
Which is an indicated 63mph-actual is probably 57 mph if I wanted to ride slowly I'd have bought a Bonnie!! :p

·
Registered
272 Posts
Getting 50+ mpg on a stock Legend. 80% of my riding is at 55 mph, rarely ever faster, and easy on the throttle. 18/43 setup.

If you say I ride like an old man you'd be correct. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
TBS MPGs

on a recent 200 mile day I got a surprising 54 miles per gallon US...driving at a very relaxed pace...55-70mph.on 1 lane country roads...85%... AND 15% city,,hardly ever jacked the throttle...on my 6 speed 98 TBS...stock 17 43 sprockets...rejetted to 40 pilots and 100 mains..k n filter with 1 small 1/2" hole drilled in the airbox. mostly flat florida roads, although a bit of hills; 85 degree day with exact proper tire pressures on Avon Storms..with a triumph flyscreen and a small spitfire screen with an adjustabe MRA Vario lip....I sold my beautiful modded 2003 Bandit 1200S to get my stunning, as new, mint.. TBS...!! curious to know , how much are you buying it for?

·
Registered
728 Posts
you can use Dennis Kirk. I have and the difference is that Triumph sprockets have a rubber grommet around the shaft opening and D Kirks do not. I doesnt make spit's worth of difference in performance or longevity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts