Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forums but didn't come up with much? \

Any know issues with the 98's or things to look out for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There was a recall for the grounding block. They call it an "earth block" because the bike is british.

If you search for that, you may find info on how to tell if it's been replaced.

Also- the 97 and early 98 models had tranny problems. If you look at the engine code you can tell if it's one of these or not.

And if it IS one of the engines that may have the problem- if it's got more than 10k miles on it, it will be fine. They tended to blow up early or not at all.

I also don't remember the cut-off for the engine code... sorry!

Man, i'm helpful, aren't i?

:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, I have found with my 97 T595 that they are also known for breaking the springs in the clutch basket. I think I have heard that this issue also affects many Triumph models not jut the T595's. You can do the work yourself, if you are at all a mechanical type. On the other hand the clutch basket is not cheap, I bought mine for $400 and I am to understand this was very cheap. Also the issue you may have read about the transmission. I have only found a handful of people that have actually had the issue, most have only heard of it and not experienced it. I know from my dealers old tech notes that the clutch springs are the most common and the clutch bearing for the clutch rod. The main thing is that the bike has always been run with the correct oil.

I hope this helps...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts