Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my headlights were not working when I bought the motorcycle but the brake tail light / pilot tail light was working it had an old hid kit in there that was not working
so I yanked it out and put H4 bulbs
It worked fine with one head light so I disconnected the battery ( I bridged both H4 plugs together then i started to put everything together..
Was working fine both head lights working bright plus high beam working
Then I moved the power wire and then the rl44 relay starts to click NOW everytime I move the wire and the light will turn on but not the high beam "very low power light not normal light like a dim" the minute I turn the key off and turn the key back on it does not work until I jiggle the power wire
Everything else is working fine bike starts up
"Left and right blinker works brake light works horn works"
But no pilot lights on tail or headlight...

I need help its driving me crazy
I bought a new relay still not working rl44

Green ,red,blue wire is the bridged h4 head lights right and left

Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update fuse number 2 keeps on blowing the min I turn the key feel like either the bridge from H4 connector is blowing it or a wire hitting metal but nothing is exposed soo idk it has to be the bridge idk it's weird how it worked fine now its not it could be it over loaded from the bridge wires since only the right side got power and the left dont until I bridge them both together

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
This thread should be in the Daytona Deliberations section. To the OP, I think your issue is with the bridge wiring. Do you have a service manual or wiring diagram? The two headlamps are not wired the same. I believe the left headlamp is controlled by Dip Beam Relay and the Main Beam Relay. The right side is not. Member D'Ecosse is an expert on these matters and would be able to advise you better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This thread should be in the Daytona Deliberations section. To the OP, I think your issue is with the bridge wiring. Do you have a service manual or wiring diagram? The two headlamps are not wired the same. I believe the left headlamp is controlled by Dip Beam Relay and the Main Beam Relay. The right side is not. Member D'Ecosse is an expert on these matters and would be able to advise you better.
i agree on the bridged wire im going to cut it off tonight and add a new fuse... i want both head lights working not just one at all times... im working on getting the books and thank you for taking time out your day to help.. im new too all of this and learning as fast as i can.. i got the bike with bad wiring problems and had to rewire most of the bike i fixed everything else but the head lights & throttle cable.... headlights and throttle cable is the last on the list....

"throttle cable insight"
when i move the handbar left or right the bike revs up
replace throttle cable?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
The routing of the throttle cable is probably at fault, not a faulty cable. Or, you don't have enough slack at the throttle adjuster. My T595 has been sitting idle for the past 5 years, but I think both headlamps are on all the time normally. Not like a more modern bike with only two working for highs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The routing of the throttle cable is probably at fault, not a faulty cable. Or, you don't have enough slack at the throttle adjuster. My T595 has been sitting idle for the past 5 years, but I think both headlamps are on all the time normally. Not like a more modern bike with only two working for highs.
i will look into that friday ill keep you updated thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,656 Posts
Got your PM - I can only help if you have standard wiring - trying to determine what is wrong remotely is very difficult without knowing EXACTLY what mods may have been done (and that also applies to what previous owners may have done, as well as those you have done yourself
So the first step is to try to return to the original configuration

First, you should not have needed to bridge the two connectors together - the way the headlights work is that one headlight is powered directly from the hi/lo switch and the other is powered via a relay - a separate relay for high and low - also of note these relays are not common/garden over the counter relays(type 'b') they are type 'a' relays (the common 30 and the coil positive 86 positions are swapped).
Those two relays also receive power via a different fuse - fuse #6, whereas primary headlight fuse is fuse #2

Your RL44 relay is meaningless - it is not OEM - what position was this relay in?
Regardless of its position it is NOT applicable for ANY of the headlight relay applications as per your image it is a 4 pin type b relay
See above for the type a relay which is requirement for the two headlight relays;

The Third relay that is absolutely required is the headlight-cut-while starting relay - this is 5-pin type b changeover relay - it MUST be a 5-pin and lights will not function without that relay installed
To identify the socket for that one, it is the ONLY socket that has the centre terminal position (87a) populated - NONE of the other relay sockets use this termninal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok left light solved was a bad relay and the bridge was popping fuses now onto the next issue the right head light... low beam high beam pilot light working on left headlight

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got your PM - I can only help if you have standard wiring - trying to determine what is wrong remotely is very difficult without knowing EXACTLY what mods may have been done (and that also applies to what previous owners may have done, as well as those you have done yourself
So the first step is to try to return to the original configuration

First, you should not have needed to bridge the two connectors together - the way the headlights work is that one headlight is powered directly from the hi/lo switch and the other is powered via a relay - a separate relay for high and low - also of note these relays are not common/garden over the counter relays(type 'b') they are type 'a' relays (the common 30 and the coil positive 86 positions are swapped).
Those two relays also receive power via a different fuse - fuse #6, whereas primary headlight fuse is fuse #2

Your RL44 relay is meaningless - it is not OEM - what position was this relay in?
Regardless of its position it is NOT applicable for ANY of the headlight relay applications as per your image it is a 4 pin type b relay
See above for the type a relay which is requirement for the two headlight relays;

The Third relay that is absolutely required is the headlight-cut-while starting relay - this is 5-pin type b changeover relay - it MUST be a 5-pin and lights will not function without that relay installed
To identify the socket for that one, it is the ONLY socket that has the centre terminal position (87a) populated - NONE of the other relay sockets use this termninal.
Ok now on to the relay placements

Right relay is the one replaced I know it's not OEM but it's working for the most part.. high beam low beam plot light taillight working

Weird that they are both rl44

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right h4 connecter not getting power light on key on high beam on

Left relay getting power also if I'm not mistaken this is a 5 prong relay not 4

·
Super Moderator
21,656 Posts
your diagram of relay layout is not quite so simple as 4 pin relay vs 5 pin relay
2 & 3 do NOT have to be 5 pin relays, but they DO need to be type a
# 4 is a type a 5-pin type b; 5,6 & 7 are all special ECU relays - you really need to use OEM there

the RL44 will appear to work - however your battery will drain with those installed, as the coils will be permanently energized
You need the relays I identified

·
Super Moderator
21,656 Posts
sooo looks like left is relay 2 and right is relay 3
The relays are not right & left - they are hi and low

One more time

decosse said:
.... the way the headlights work is that one headlight is powered directly from the hi/lo switch and the other is powered via a relay - a separate relay for high and low

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your diagram of relay layout is not quite so simple as 4 pin relay vs 5 pin relay
2 & 3 do NOT have to be 5 pin relays, but they DO need to be type a
# 4 is a type a 5-pin type b; 5,6 & 7 are all special ECU relays - you really need to use OEM there

the RL44 will appear to work - however your battery will drain with those installed, as the coils will be permanently energized
You need the relays I identified
Do you know where I can buy the proper OEM relays or a link to them to find them Ebay sucks with China crap and I live in florida

4,5 relays are rl44 not oem
6 relay is factory
7 relay not oem
1 relay is factory

I know I'm probably frustrating but I'm all new to this and doing it all by myself I'm sorry for any confusion I'm just trying to learn thank you for taking time out your day to help me I really appreciate it

·
Registered
719 Posts
Can get parts from Bike Bandit or your local dealer parts counter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts