Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm riding a '97 speed triple 750, its done around 13,000miles.
it fires up ok from cold and idles nicely after a few seconds.
for a while now though after being ridden for a short while i've had intermittent problems with the engine cutting out at low speeds and just recently cutting out at high speeds.
at low speeds i was able to pull in the clutch and it would fire up ok..a bit dodgey in traffic. Riding home today i was doing around 70mph and the engine decided to cut out completely and had to coast to a standstill, each time this happened i had to wait a few minutes before i could fire her up again, this happened about 10 times til i eventually got home. I have noticed a strong smell of petrol each time and the engine did backfire a few times when doing high speed. when i first had the problem at low speeds it seemed to be related to the neutral switch and/or the side stand switch so i made sure the sidestand switch was oiled up and the neutral cable had good contact.
could this still be the problem does anybody think ie a dodgey switch or could something else be going on.
would be graetful of any ideas before i have to start laying out any cash...to sum up, engine starts and idles ok but after about six miles the engine sometimes runs a bit rough and may cut out completely but on other occassions the bike will be completely ok! strange hey..does it sound more fuel related rather than electrical?

·
Registered
826 Posts
sounds electrical to me, its very rare for a fueling issue to be intermittent.
pulser coils give some agro, but i am reliably informed that if it is knackered, it will die after around 5 mins, and wont restart unil the engine has cooled.

coils are also an issue, and do give rough running, mine is currently suffering with a degrading coil, but it has never cut out yet, although in the chance that 2 were failing, it may well cut out.

switches sound like the likliest culprit, so i would start there, if you have a haynes manual it tells you what to do to test each one.

so, start with the switches, then try the coils, then try the pulser coil.
good luck mate, i hope it turns out to be something simple!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check that your fuel and/or vacuum pipes arent kinked.
Had a v similar prob to yours once and I traced it to a kinked petrol line.
Very easy to do when putting the tank back on after service etc!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
As part of your process of elimination, put the petcock in the PRIME position. This opens the petcock without vacuum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm....changed all the fuel lines, vacuum hose, air filter and battery last year. Whats getting me is it's so intermittent..after all the aggro at the weekend it was fine today.
I'm servicing it at the weekend so will check out the coils.
can anybody recommend buying spares online rather than getting them from the local dealer.
cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As part of your process of elimination, put the petcock in the PRIME position. This opens the petcock without vacuum.
tried it tonight in all positions and it conked out each time.
same as the weekend again..left it for a little while then it would start and be ok for a short while.
do you think it could be overheating?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I concur, it does sound like the pickup coil.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers for the input fellas...getting a pick up coil tomorrow...i'll let you know how i get on. Gaz

·
Registered
826 Posts
i found it very difficult to get to the wire on mine(it must be when i swapped engines i didnt route it correctly), so before i removed the old one entirely, i left it in situe, and just plugged the replacement into the loom, and bolted it onto the engine.
then if you find it doesnt cure the issue you can take the coil back and get a refund

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
put the new pickup coil in, gave it a little run and everythings ok at the moment...give you an update in a few days or so when I'm sure the problem's solved....cheers everyone for your help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its been a week since i put the new pickup coil in and everything's sweet...cheers everyone for their help

·
Registered
282 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted. But a question, is there such a beast as 1997 Speed Triple 750? I thought all Speed Trips were 900s and a '97 would be a T509 wouldn't it?
Or is this something you've created yourself?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts