Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need help urgently please - yes, another newbie!

I've seen a 1996 speed triple today in a dealer that I've fallen in love with and want to buy today, but I can't live with the clip-on bars. What do I need to convert to flat bars (MX or Renthal style).

Must have been done many many times? A little research suggests LSL do a kit.

Simply risers and 7/8" bars or need new top clamp. Want to retain existing switches etc.

Reactions seems mixed though as to whether it is a good or bad mod for the bike. Would surely be simple enough to put back to standard to retain originality.

Bike is in really nice condition 18k miles - what's it worth?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
70 Posts
s3 bars...

I changed my s3 to the LSL kit.
everything stock works except the brake line, and the kit came with it.
the throttle cable will be routed behind the forks but every thing should just bolt up.
changing the top clamp is a little work but pretty simple.
the hardest thing is getting the ignition switch disonnected from the original top clamp.
i like this set-up alot!
makes the bike VERY comfortable to ride.
hope this helps,

Andrew

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ialso went with the LSL kit. I believe itwas around $350.

Sooo much more comfortable for me.

Ditto

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. That LSL kit installed is about 350 pounds sterling fitted. Scootworks do a riser kit for 125 dollars and say you can just remove the clip-ons and drill the top clamp (tree) to fit Renthals - is that going to work? :suspicious:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
They list Daytona 900 & 1200, which will be essentially the same. The listing for D900 says it's unconfirmed, & the listing for D1200 says it uses 43mm universal bars + a 3" over brake line. So...

Yeah.

Won't work with a Speed Triple or a Trident without finding an alternate headlight mount that'll leave the fork tubes exposed.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wiayeman - I haven't (yet), the whole bars situation has me a little confused and you said changing them would ruin the bike! My feeling was it could be easily put back to standard for the purists. I've had a couple of comments that suggest it makes it a very comfy riding position but of course I haven't has the opportunity to test that for myself. Can I just drill the top clamp and fit risers to reduce the costs compared to the full LSL kit with replacement clamp - or is that just a bad idea?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts