Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first tried out the bike at the dealer's, it wouldn't go into gear without stalling the engine.

The mechanic said it was because it was cold (yeah right!), but it did it when the engine was warmed up.

He wheeled it around the back, and came back a few minutes later and it worked. He just said he adjusted it.

It was fine, and doesn't seem to happen when the engine is stone cold, but when it's warm it seems to do it again.

Any idea why?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
First thing I would do is bleed and flush the system.
Pump plenty of fresh brake fluid through the system bleeding at the slave cylinder and finally bleed the banjo fitting at the master cylinder.
The banjo fitting is a notorious high spot in the system that WILL catch air.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Sounds like it could be electrical, maybe the side-stand switch is acting up. It happens.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions lads, I'll look into it when the weather breaks.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Sounds like it could be electrical, maybe the side-stand switch is acting up. It happens.
Good point.
When my switch went bad, the clutch was the first thing on my mind.
The best way to tell is to put the bike in gear pull the clutch in (not running) and see how much drag there is by pushing the bike. There will be some but it should not be such that you can't push the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts