Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all the daytona has been running really well after a new clutch was fitted but on my way home from work .i could occasionally hear what sounded like small amounts of compressed air leaking ,it some times makes the same noise in cranking the motor over from cold and needs a second or third go at starting...any ideas ??

·
Registered
91 Posts
running issues

hi all the daytona has been running really well after a new clutch was fitted but on my way home from work .i could occasionally hear what sounded like small amounts of compressed air leaking ,it some times makes the same noise in cranking the motor over from cold and needs a second or third go at starting...any ideas ??
were they able to put the clutch in without having to remove the block? If not, you may want to check that your airbox is fitted correctly back onto the throttle body. Or, check to ensure that the clutch casing was replaced with a new gasket and has the proper mount of torque on the bolts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no leaks on the exhaust system, the clutch took less than an hour to fit and is working perfectly was thinking more to do with the injection system,but unsure what ??

·
Registered
91 Posts
955i running ish's

There are no leaks on the exhaust system, the clutch took less than an hour to fit and is working perfectly was thinking more to do with the injection system,but unsure what ??
Does the bike spit, sputter, buck or run roughly? have you checked your fuel pump? you say the 'tona is making some whining noises, but i doubt you'd ever be able to hear anything if it were coming from the injectors and they aren't likely to make noise. you should have a fuel pump/ecu relay on the right hand, rear side, under the seat. if you look from the left side above the bike, it will be the one closest to the rear of the motorcycle.

have someone help you with this -
put your bike in neutral
turn your key;
put one of your fingers on top of the relay;
have your 'helper' flip the kill switch on;
you'll feel the relay close and hear a slight whine noise coming from your fuel pump;

then, start the bike while keeping your finger on the relay just to check if the relay is doing something weird - it should be open when the bike shuts down, and closed (makes a clicking sound and you can feel it vibrate slightly when it closes)when the bike is running;

If this is okay, then check your electrical connections at the fuel pump to see if anything is loose causing the fuel pump to run intermittently.

If this were an air leak going INTO the bike, it would run with a high idle - if it had an air leak going OUT of the bike, it would run pretty rough and choppy.

Also, check your fuses for the fuel pump/ecu - the bike wouldn't run at all if they were blown, BUT if you have a bad electrical connection, they could cause some weird issues.

Othern than this, I would check my fuel hoses, water hoses, and oil hoses just to ensure everything is tightened up and in it's proper port - this could be something very simple like a hose not hooked up to the air box.

·
Registered
125 Posts
also check the hose in your fuel pump... i took my FP out of the fuel tank and the hose on the pump was in a really bad condition, which caused it to leak and loose pressure... the bike ran bad and did the hissing sound sometimes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.