Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am in need of some guidance. I’ve got two problems with my tiger. Maybe related, maybe not. It’s a ‘01 with 105K.

First, it’s struggles to start when cold. It stumbles after starting for 5 to 10 seconds, then idles up and runs perfect. Then each start up after warm is fine.

Second, the starter does not turn over when I initially press the starter button. After the second or third press it starts. I can see the warning lights dim slightly when pressing the starter button each time.

I’m relatively green to this bike. I’ve only done oil changes, plugs and air filter type of stuff on it. I’m still searching for parts supplies as well.

Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
When did you last check the valve clearance?

Regarding the starting button, maybe some contact cleaner in the starter button/clutch contact/side stand contact.
I don't recall the interlock on 955. Clutch switch for sure (ground of the solenoid command).

Fred

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'd check the IACV and hoses. The hoses are notorious for cracking and leaking with age. My 955 had a problem starting and idling, and it was fine after cleaning the IACV with alcohol. As fredsprint says, make sure the sidestand and clutch switches are clean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great ideas, I’ll check those all. I didn’t realize I need to be checking valve clearance. Is that something I could easily do myself, or should I take it in? The closest shop that will work on my bike is about 6 hr drive, from me.

Also, parts? What supplies are you guys using?

Thank you!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Valve clearances need to be done every 10000 miles. They'd have to be really bad to affect performance/starting though. It's time consuming to check them but not that difficult. You'll need a workshop manual though. If you don't have the proper tool, ($$$$) the cams need to be lifted to change the shims. It's going to be expensive to get it done at a $hop. Don't know about parts because you don't say your location

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yes, checking valve clearance is an easy job to do providing you know the basics of mechanic.

Adjusting the valve gaps (if needed) is more difficult but requires a lot of attention an precision. Still not rocket science. Shims are 25mm.

As you have a first gen 955 (no O2 sensor and automotive alternator), changing the shims (over bucket) doesn't require to remove the cam shaft. You need a special triumph too though.

Here is a tutorial. But I guess many other are available.

BTW can you fill out your bike type and year in your profile so that people knows about it to help you better?

Fred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts