Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm painting my '01 955i, and while I had the tail section fairing off I noticed that fuel suddenly started coming out of one of the fairing bolt holes (right side, lower rear of the tank).

It seems like the fairing bolts directly into the fuel tank, and the hole must have gone too deep. Seems like the threads are stripped out of the hole too.

This seems like too much of a design flaw to be real, though. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to repair it? I was thinking I could drill out the hole, sink a threaded insert into it and J-B Weld it in place...

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Dizzle, If too long of a screw is used (perhaps the one each side of the saddles) and installed fully the tank will be penetrated. Offhand perhaps some epoxy can be inserted, but plastic repair is way beyond my capabilities.

drakewn, The differences between the '97-'01 (excepting the '01 new style) and '02-'06 range from profound to subtle. Think total redesign rather than evolutionary, honestly.

Brad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brad,

The fairing on the early-'01 model does indeed bolt into the tank. My post didn't make that clear enough. I'll post pictures soon if I get a chance.

If I'm going to epoxy the tank, do I need to do something to it besides draining it completely? I mean, do I need to clean the fuel out of it, and if I do, what should I use to do so?

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Wow, I didn't think the changes would be that great.
The tank and tail body panels are completely different

And yes, the tail fairing does screw into the tank - and you are not alone in that Dizzle - it's been done before.
I recall a thread on that from a year or so ago with someone who had done similar - I'll see if I can find it.
It will need to be repaired from inside preferably

edit - here you go - http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/88136-fuel-leak-help.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts