Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to say first I'm a (soon to be) Triumph owner (2002 Sprint RS) and I've been thrilled with the information available on these forums. So thank you!

I'm curious as to what the differences are between the Speed Triple/Sprint 955i engine setup and that of the Daytona 955i (say post 2002 for argument's sake). I understand the performance characteristics, but how are they achieved?

Thank you!

-------
Bentley

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
welcome Bentley

Predominantly different cams; different exhaust (bigger diameter, different cross-over scheme); higher redline possible due to forged pistons, nikasil liners and shot-peened rods & crank.
There's a 20HP (peak) difference - its noticable!

You did well to get the 02 though over the previous gen - that is a nicer motor with more hp than the previous variant.
You will find lots of information & peers in the Sprint specific forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Previous gen has nice styling though, IMO. Depends on what its worth to you.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,810 Posts
DEcosse already gave you the answer, so I'll just say welcome to the forum! Head over to the Biker Hang Out and introduce yourself to the whole gang!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I tend to agree about buying the 02 - everything I've read says great things about the changes for that model year.

All that's left is a new coat of paint... and some warm weather! I'm not sure I have the courage to ride in 27 degrees and snowing...

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Yeah, don't ride in the snow. That's stupidity, not courage. DAMHIK. :p

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Been there, done that too, Kit.

·
Premium Member